PDA

View Full Version : water pump compatability II vs IIa?

grant
06-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Stupid question, but it's 1:30 a.m. and I have to order some gaskets, etc. in the next couple of days and I can't think straight. I have a 1960 88 SII with a 2.25(my engine is at a shop having new freeze plugs put in). Am I correct that my water pump is the older style (NLA) with 9 studs, and, if so, is a newer SIIa water pump compatible with my engine? IF not, is the gasket the same for both water pumps? What should I do here? Thanks,

Grant

daveb
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
order them both, or use "right stuff" without the gasket

Stupid question, but it's 1:30 a.m. and I have to order some gaskets, etc. in the next couple of days and I can't think straight. I have a 1960 88 SII with a 2.25(my engine is at a shop having new freeze plugs put in). Am I correct that my water pump is the older style (NLA) with 9 studs, and, if so, is a newer SIIa water pump compatible with my engine? IF not, is the gasket the same for both water pumps? What should I do here? Thanks,

Grant

Jeff Aronson
06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I remember that a Series II owner had a water pump fail at the RoverFest in 2000 or 2001. A II-A water pump wouldn't work, so he removed his water pump on site and had it rebuilt at Rovers North [they had a rebuild kit for the Series II in stock] and then installed it the next day.

Even though they both used a 2.25 block. my understanding is that some components, such as the water pump. were specfic to the Series II and II-A models.

Jeff

I Leak Oil
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
The IIa pump will not directly replace the II pump. You can replace the entire front cover and then you can use a IIa pump. I'm not sure if the IIa pump and front cover will work with a II head as the casting is different at the thermostat housing. Rebuilding the II pump is easy to do.
Jason T.

singingcamel
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
they are not interchangeable.

grant
06-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Presumably, the IIa gaskets will not work on the II water pump, correct? Does anyone know if the complete engine gasket sets you get from RN or AB come with only IIa gaskets or can you get one with a II water pump gasket? Thanks again for the replies.

Grant

daveb
06-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Presumably, the IIa gaskets will not work on the II water pump, correct? Does anyone know if the complete engine gasket sets you get from RN or AB come with only IIa gaskets or can you get one with a II water pump gasket? Thanks again for the replies.

Grant

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/PLF308.jpg (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/images/Product/large/PLF308.jpg)

this photo shows the 7 and 9 hole gaskets which are ex-mod and SIIa-III respectively. if you get a bottle of "right stuff" gasket goo you will not need a paper gasket. just lay down a 1/8" bead of it and bolt it up.