PDA

View Full Version : Import question

nate6472
05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
With CBP cracking down on illegal imports it is proof of age beyond VIN and engine numbers are important. I remember something in the past about telling the age by some dots on the windscreen. Anybody recall this method? Any other methods welcome

I learn some people have been importing newer defenders and putting older VIN plates for customs.

Thanks

bsjbrown
05-03-2013, 02:59 PM
With CBP cracking down on illegal imports it is proof of age beyond VIN and engine numbers are important. I remember something in the past about telling the age by some dots on the windscreen. Anybody recall this method? Any other methods welcome

I learn some people have been importing newer defenders and putting older VIN plates for customs.

Thanks

The dots on the windscreen is a new one to me. All I know is the VIN on the Chassis, Engine and the one in the Compartment should be matching. Should show no signs of tampering. The engine should be what is listed on the VIN - no 300TDI in what should be a 2.5TD or 2.5NA etc. It helps to have other documentation from the Manufacturing entity of the car - like this:

Mine is under examination but my documentation is square and I am not worried. What bothers me is the CBP is leaving it at the Examination site - a bonded warehouse. Each day it sits there it costs me money. I am paying for the Drayage of the container and then for it to sit there in the warehouse. They can use the excuse of "budget cuts" to take their sweet time to get over to the warehouse and do what they are supposed to do. Where they used to do these inspections within a day or two is now taking weeks.

Here I go on a rant but the Federal Govt. is a bloated tick - tax & spend. The politicians are nothing more than that - politicians and that is their profession. We are in this situation because in 1988 Mercedes-Benz spent millions of dollars lobbying our politicians to create Motor Safety Compliance Act. Because their own European 500SEL destroyed the US Market for the 380SEL. So their franchise dealers started crying about it. What is funny there was NO EVIDENCE - I say that again - NO EVIDENCE was presented that grey-import vehicles safety performance differed significantly from that of US models, and there are allegations even now of improper lobbying yet nobody has yet brought that issue up in a court of law.

End of my rant. If you can get a Letter or something like that showing Date of Manufacture. Also prior registration documents even from another country are concrete evidence that CBP officials will have a hard time fighting.

Les Parker
05-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Many moons ago, when Landrover used TRIPLEX glass, there dot under one of the letters would relay which year the glass was made, a close indicator as to when the vehicle was assembled, providing the glass had not been replaced.
I'll check some early glass and attach a pic. in another posting......

bsjbrown
05-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Les is that similar to the same type of markings that MG used a long time ago? What year did Land Rover stop using the Triplex Glass for the Windscreen?

Boston
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Triplex was pretty much the only glass supplier to British Leyland which made Jaguar, LR, MG, etc etc.
I'll look out the triplex dot system.

nate6472
05-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks. I google triplex dot system and the code came up

bsjbrown
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Assuming it is the original windscreen glass. If not then it is a replacement glass and probably from Pilkington who also date codes the glass.

Boston
05-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Triplex is now owned by Pilkington. The dot system continues

nate6472
05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Did you have to pay for this? I faxed for a letter and they want £30 (plus $45 for international wire fee)

bsjbrown
05-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I have no Idea. The letter that I was provided was given to me and obviously paid for by the seller of the Land Rover that I have purchased that is sitting in the container at The Port of Houston waiting on the CBP intensive examination. The letter was mailed to me with the MOT certificate and the DVLA paperwork for the vehicle (all originals) so that when my vehicle gets released to me I can then go through the registration process here in Texas.

I am not purchasing this car for any reason but for me to drive - every day - and then get buried in it when I die.

So if that is the cost then I am assuming that is the cost for the service and the certification. I thought they would have to view the vehicle in order to certify it and personally check out the VIN's etc.

Maryland 110
06-29-2013, 08:26 AM
I have no Idea. The letter that I was provided was given to me and obviously paid for by the seller of the Land Rover that I have purchased that is sitting in the container at The Port of Houston waiting on the CBP intensive examination. The letter was mailed to me with the MOT certificate and the DVLA paperwork for the vehicle (all originals) so that when my vehicle gets released to me I can then go through the registration process here in Texas.

I am not purchasing this car for any reason but for me to drive - every day - and then get buried in it when I die.

So if that is the cost then I am assuming that is the cost for the service and the certification. I thought they would have to view the vehicle in order to certify it and personally check out the VIN's etc.

Build date letters and build specification letters are readily available from British Motor Heritage @ Gayden. These are the folks generating all the manuals on CD like LHP27,28 etc. I buy them online, all you need is the VIN.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/

nate6472
07-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I was able to get the build date from HMC and UKLR only to find the date is Sept 1, 88. Soooo, I was able to move it to a Customs Bonded warehouse till then ($2500). More than I wanted to pay but better than having to send it back. Had to use a broker for the first time - no way I could have done it without her. Can't wait till Sept.