PDA

View Full Version : New Seatbox Or Not?

amcordo
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Rebuilding a SIII. It's the opposity of stock, so don't worry about originality.

What's everyones feelings on this:
I can keep the original seatbox, and buy a pair of high-back seats to mount on it and just keep the lap restraints.

OR

I can use the pair of seats I removed from a Silverado that have integrated seatbelts, but to do this really well I would build a new seatbox/frame that would bolt directly into the vehicle frame (kind of useless to have intertia belts and all that if your seat is just going to rip out of the aluminum and go through the windshield). I had used these seats temporarily on the OE seatbox, and they fit (just barely).

I feel like I saw a site in the past where someone removed the OE seatbox to install a steel seat frame they built. I think it was on a series or defender that was getting extended or something... in any case, I remember it looking good enough, so I have some faith that I could make it look good if I did it myself.

Boston
05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Rebuilding is the way to go. Either bend your own metal or buying from YRM in England.