PDA

View Full Version : Brake Drums "Saturated" with oil?

kenscs
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I am replacing rear brakes on '71 Series IIa. Hub seals were shot and gear oil had leaked all over the inside of the brake drums and looks like it saturated the brake shoes. I read in another forum from Australia that the cast iron of brake drums is porous and would soak up the oil and therefore need to be replaced. Is this the case? Given they surface gets very shiny it seems like it would be hard to penetrate the metal. One post suggested soaking the shoes in gasoline and "burning" off the oil!! Thanks for any help in advance.

alaskantinbender
05-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I remember my Grandfather burning oil soaked brake lining/shoes a lot of years ago. He said it removed the oil and helped recondition the lining somewhat. I dont know if it would work with todays materials or not. As to the metal soaking up oil, I would use lots of brake cleaner on the drum and press on.

Jim

stomper
05-12-2013, 12:43 PM
I believe it is the lining material that soaks up oil, not the cast metal that you need to worry about. brake clean and press on, or replace if the lining is worn a lot.

I Leak Oil
05-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Fix leak, buy new shoes and springs, clean drum with brake cleaner as suggested. Put it together and have fun driving it.

singingcamel
05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Inner hub seal worn, you need to fix this before you deal with the shoes.