PDA

View Full Version : 2A Gear box question

2rovers
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I just replaced my second gear sift lever in about 8 months and when I was re-assembling things I discovered that one of the reverse stop retaining springs has broken. Easy enough to replace, but what function does the reverse stop perform?
May be a dumb question, but how important are these springs?
Thanks for any and all replys!

BackInA88
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
They provide some resistance when moving the shift lever into Reverse.
I have read here that some people remove one of the springs to reduce this resistance so I don't believe you will have and issue.
Other than maybe putting it in reverse at a light by mistake.:p

jp-
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I've never broken a shifter. Are you trying to speed shift? You can't speed shift or "power" shift in a Land Rover. You must let it shift at its own pace. Also, double clutch before shifting into second gear.

LaneRover
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
You can shift a Rover without the clutch just as you would any other vehicle with a manual transmission. You just have to give it a bit of time. Pop it out of first, wait a beat and it will slide right into second. Have I ever ground the gears doing this? Yes. But I have also grounded them double clutching.

No you can't speed shift, but once you get the timing down I find that shifting a Rover without the clutch is usually smoother. Whether you prefer to shift with or without the clutch, it is good to learn how to do it without the clutch as if you lose all your clutch hydraulics you can still get home!

I have found that Japanese vehicles don't seem to like clutchless shifting as much as other vehicles - another reason not to drive them!

LaneRover

Oh yes, and I totally agree with keeping at least one of the reverse springs. As without them it is quite easy to shift into reverse instead of first.

Momo
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Were those shift levers you broke aftermarket parts, and where did they break, at the ballor the knuckle?

And about clutchless shifting...once knew a guy with a Yugo of all things who had over 250k miles on it and only used the clutch for standing starts. He was pretty proud of that...

singingcamel
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
they usually fatigue right above the ball, usually from age.but it can also be from over zealous gear selecting ,forcing it when it does'nt want to do .dirty grimy selecting forks, on the top side of the tranny. also the ball gets worn allowing the shift lever to be less accurate ,which causes frustration in finding the wanted gear and forcing the selection.
:sly: man, how was that for nothing else to do around mid night ,being on call and awaiting lab!!!:eek:

2rovers
06-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the replys guys!
I do not try to speed shift at all. I have had sports cars and this is a land rover, so I understand the difference. The first lever that broke was the original and the second was a brand new one. Both times they broke right at the base. I found one on ebay a while back to have as a spare and it seems to be of a stronger metal?
Some times I do have a hard time getting it into first or reverse gear and this is likely contributing to my breakage problem. Could this be caused by my timing being out?
I am going to replace the springs to see if it helps as it is a cheap fix.
Thanks

daveb
06-06-2007, 09:56 AM
hi

doubt that changing the springs will help

you have the non synchro box? when you say you have a hard time getting it into 1st or reverse does that mean it physically won't go or just that it grinds? do you know for sure you have a IIa box? usually on the IIa non synchro boxes it is pretty easy to select the low gears. (less so to do it without crucnhing but that is another conversation.

it might be worth popping the cover off the trans and checking all the shift rods, forks, and detent balls.

oh, but before you do that make sure your idle is below 900 rpm and your clutch is working correctly.

Thanks for the replys guys!
I do not try to speed shift at all. I have had sports cars and this is a land rover, so I understand the difference. The first lever that broke was the original and the second was a brand new one. Both times they broke right at the base. I found one on ebay a while back to have as a spare and it seems to be of a stronger metal?
Some times I do have a hard time getting it into first or reverse gear and this is likely contributing to my breakage problem. Could this be caused by my timing being out?
I am going to replace the springs to see if it helps as it is a cheap fix.
Thanks

CliftonRover
06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
to get into reverse, first, and sometimes second, from the engine running in neutral/clutch out position I often hit third gear or fourth if third doesn't work. I have to do this alot because when I snow plow I don't feel like waiting for the tranny to stop spinnining to engage a gear in the opposite direction. sorry for the rather confusion explaination. Its kind of something I have learned to do to save time. It keeps you from grinding reverse mostly.