PDA

View Full Version : Door frame split from Body 109 Station wagon

moodhair
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I have a 109 station wagon where the door sill has split from floor of the front and back cabin and is held by a few pieces of rusted metal. Effectively you can see to the ground. The floor in the truck is fine - it's the connection to the door sill that is an issue. What is a good remedy for this?

http://barrysjags.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/left-front-sillweb650.jpg

parrie
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
It's hard to tell from the pictures...has the sill pulled away from the side/door frame or has the side/door frame split? I'm in the process of rebuilding my '61 and had the same issue, thought it was just the sills pulling away...turned out the sills were fine but both RH & LH side frames were toast. Our host sells the replacement side-frames. Mine were completely toast so I had no choice but to replace both sides...my wallet still hurts.

o2batsea
05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Your "T" posts have rusted away. RN sells the replacements, but the 2A/III ones differ slightly from the ones they sell nowadays. Replacing the entire T post is a rather big job as most everything has to come out of the interior; seat box, second bulkhead, floors, etc. Also the second row doors, and the dogleg panels that form the front of the rear wheel opening. Your side steps of course. Oh yeah and all the sills if fitted.
You can probably do a quick and dirty repair by drilling thru the two pieces and putting some 10-32 or even 1/4-28 bolts with big washers both sides. You can buy repair parts from YRM if you want to try welding in patch pieces, but ultimately you want to replace them with new, preferably galvanized, assemblies.

disco2hse
05-29-2013, 06:17 PM
There's a guy on Trademe wrecking one in Dunedin. Make him an offer. Auction ID 596373492.

You are unlikely to get a warrant with them like that. Be pretty drafty too.

disco2hse
05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
New auction listed. 598806314.

moodhair
09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I do need to replace the T posts. Saving my pennies...