PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Hella Spots and Fogs

KWKOne
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I just mounted Hella fog lamps and spot lamps (not using a brush bar), and customised 2 switches to go where the headlamp height adjustment switch would go. So now I need to join up the two (or six). I have all the wiring instructions but...

This is a Disco '94; there was no fog lamp switch already in place and I (assume) no wiring.

Any ideas of a good place to get the wires through the bulkhead and into the interior of the car/dashboard? Do I need to drill a new hole?
Also should I place the relays inside the car (eg. where the fuses are) rather than have them melt in the engine compartment what with Houston heat and Discovery's running real hot?
Thanks and good t'meet y'all!
(Sorry about putting this in "memorabilia", how'd that happen?)

TSR53
06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Welcome aboard! No problem on the extra posting, I've got you covered and deleted it :thumb-up:.

Yes, running the relays inside *could* be a good idea. However, best is to keep the 12v direct run from the battery as short as possible to the relays = lower voltage loss. I think that there is a rubber boot or panel that you can gain access past the bulkhead to inside - let me poke around our company Discovery I tomorrow. I'm at home working as always late tonight!

TSR53
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Discovery I bulkhead, LHD
Optimal location to route wires into the drivers compartment area is through the main rubber oval shaped grommet just under the brake booster (see red outlined area and arrow pointing to this). I would remove the factory black tape (where it narrows down on the wire loom) and slip the toggle wire (usually #86 from the relay - check Hella instructions though) in through this location at the loom prior to where the rubber grommet closes down. Reseal with black tape or silicone.

ps... Good time to check the "Y" connection for your vacumm lines going to the cruise control too. The line and the "Y" back through the bulkhead on ours looks fine but, underneath had a big crack in it!

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Discovery-I-bulkhead.jpg

KWKOne
06-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Funny you should say that, cruise control has just gone out again!!

So I'll start there.

Many thanks.