PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question - what are all these wires?

IIA
05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm trying to fix the reverse light on my 1970 IIA. If I remove the metal panel to access the sockets for the brake light, turn signal, reverse light, etc., I find a mess of wires - none of which are connected to the 2 terminals of the reverse light fixture. But there are lots of loose ends.

One wire is green and red and has a connector that fits well on the reverse light. I guess it's called a female connector.
Another wire is black and has a ring connector on the end.
A third has a mass of electrical tape and a blue plastic thing on the end--maybe a different type of female connector or the remains of whatever broke off.
The 4th wire is red and has nothing on the end.

My electrical skills are limited to replacing burned-out bulbs in my kitchen. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

dunerunner
05-30-2013, 06:30 PM
You have a reverse light on your IIA? OK....

Turn on the ignition.
Put the transmission in reverse.
With a multimeter set to read mid scale at 12VDC, measure between the Black (which should be earth or Neg.) and the other wires.
Find those with a positive voltage reading and record.
Move the trans to Neutral and retest.
If the Voltage reading is no longer present at one of the wires and Earth (Black), you have found your operational pair.

Good Luck...

ignotus
05-30-2013, 08:39 PM
It is unclear from your post which side you opened up, Also are the wires comming up thru the tub or are they on the lamp fixtures? The LHD side will have stop/tail, signal, reverse and plate illumination. The RHD side will not have the plate illumination.
As Dunerunner said the black wire is a ground wire and the ring terminal should be under a bolt or screw. The signal should be the green/red wire. In British standard wiring the reverse light is a green/brown wire from the lamp to the switch. Tail light, plate illumination are red and come on with the light switch.
If you don't have a test light--get one, the repair manual is necessary too. This will help; Lucas wiring As can this link; wiring link

gene

siii8873
06-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure what panel you are talkin of. The circuit for reverse lights starts at the switched power fuse, runs to the switch at the shifter, from there to the rear harness connector, to the lights.

Les Parker
06-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Bob,

I think the panel in question is the RH rear interior panel, covering the lamps and "rat's nest" wiring.

A tidy up with some correct bullets and sleeves sounds overdue.

2p

IIA
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It was the LH side and definitely a rat's nest. I've got it working now.