PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

SalemRover
06-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Ok so I have Rovers North fancy schmancy door cards installed on the rover. I must say the quality is rather nice and being able to take the door tops off without removing the card is great. The time is approaching where I am going to put speakers in. Crazy right? I was wondering who out there has found a decent pair of marine grade black speakers that fit without looking all riceresque. In my brief foray I came across these, sadly in white. If push comes to shove I can simply paint the cover if a stock black is not an option. It needs to cover the full range as I wont have seperate tweeters, sub, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xs-mp1610w-Marine-Speakers/dp/B00370DK16/ref=sr_1_78?ie=UTF8&qid=1370089559&sr=8-78&keywords=6+marine+speakers

busboy
06-01-2013, 08:47 AM
They look too deep for the door...unless the door card is raised lots, and I don't think there is room for that either.

luckyjoe
06-01-2013, 09:05 AM
What about D1 door speakers? Not waterproof, but probably adequate and cheap enough...

Revtor
06-01-2013, 03:53 PM
if you end up trying to choose between two, go with the pair with a higher sensitivity rating. They will be louder, which is what you'll need!!

~Steve

I Leak Oil
06-01-2013, 05:53 PM
They look too deep for the door...unless the door card is raised lots, and I don't think there is room for that either.

Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today but without any real info how does this answer his question?

SafeAirOne
06-01-2013, 07:33 PM
These come in black too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000K2M8YY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

SafeAirOne
06-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Oh, Jason...I just realized--If you change the "w" (as in "white") on the end of your Sony speaker model number (Xs-mp1610w) to a "b", you get the black version of the speakers. Just Google that.

In fact, don't bother. Here they are: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XSMP1610B-Marine-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000H0TT0A

Err...out of stock. Try here: http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/en/p/XSMP1610B#features

On an editorial note, did you change your engine or buy lots of soundproofing lately? ;)

mearstrae
06-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I thought all Series Rovers came with a sound system from the factory, under the hood and floor boards. Oh, one you can pick the sounds. Well, tweeters are probably a wash anyway as you'll most likely only hear the base, maybe.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

SalemRover
06-02-2013, 06:47 AM
I dumped the diesel for a used prius engine, I just drag the battery behind the truck ; P

I cant hear anything over my transfer case whine honestly. I cant wait to sort that out so some other new noise can plague me with its relentess tune of "fix me!". You can sorta hear music, and its something that the kids and wife would like to have. On that note we went out for fried clams and ice cream (not at the same time!). All in the rover, it was awesome.

The depth is aproximately 3" and the diameter is 6.5 (apx. as well). I think 6.5 speakers are going to be out but I will check specs.

SafeAirOne
06-02-2013, 07:18 AM
The depth is aproximately 3" and the diameter is 6.5 (apx. as well). I think 6.5 speakers are going to be out but I will check specs.

Here's the info: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/XS-MP1610W.pdf

Revtor
06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Search for "shallow mount" speakers. these will usually be 2" or under in depth.

If what you find doesn't suit your taste in audio fidelity,:p you could mount normal "deeper" speakers on the outside of the door card on top of some spacer rings.. Made of.. whatever. sanded sealed painted plywood perhaps.

Also, limiting your search to marine speakers probably isn't necessary unless you really think they'll get wet. Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain?? I'm not sure.

~Steve

SalemRover
06-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain??
~Steve

Does a bear sh*t in the woods? ;)

There is enough depth and width on the RN cards to accommodate many 6.5 marine speakers. I like to run with the door tops off during the summer, even in the rain. They will need to be rugged as I tried just getting speakers with a polypropylene cone and what I found is that the coil/magnet would eventually get condensation and it would die. I did alot of digging earlier and on boating forums the JL speakers were the the highest rated, however they are 250+ a pair which is way more than I want to spend. The Sony's linked arent a bad choice and the grille is not all "ghetto" for lack of a better word. The choice can get a little muddled when you take your head unit and/or amp into account. Here is a link to a boating thread with a less than pleasant discussion but filled with decent information.
http://forums.iboats.com/electrical-electronics-audio-trolling-motors/who-makes-best-sounding-6-5-marine-speakers-166395-2.html

~Jason

busboy
06-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today but without any real info how does this answer his question?

Well.............if you looked at the specs for the speaker you would see that the speaker in question is 3 1/2 inches deep, which is too deep for the landrover door with a flush door card. Pretty simple EH! But not knowing what the door card the OP has is like as I've never seen one, it might protrude out into the cab 2 inches from the door which would of course be silly to reduce the interior size that much but who knows. I have installed more than my fair share of door speakers along the way and know that if the speaker touches the door interior it will rattle. Also it's not the back side of the speaker other than the voice coil to be concerned about in a landrover, it's the front side from hosing down the interior or rain at an angle. I have waterproofed the front side of speakers before using a water proofing spray, but if you are wading even a little the moisture will eventually get the cones and the voice coils, just be prepared to replace them occasionally.

I Leak Oil
06-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....
http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA4700&type=0&eq=&desc=INTERIOR-FRONT-DOOR-PANEL-SET---RH%2bLH---FOR-DEFENDER-90-AND-SERIES-III&key=it

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
Some specs here.
http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/en/p/XSMP1610B#specifications

busboy
06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....
http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA4700&type=0&eq=&desc=INTERIOR-FRONT-DOOR-PANEL-SET---RH%2bLH---FOR-DEFENDER-90-AND-SERIES-III&key=it

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
Some specs here.
http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/en/p/XSMP1610B#specifications

Those are nice door cards...if you like that sort of a thing, you might as well nail a flush mount speaker on there. I can clearly see I'm on the wrong site.. thanks all and goodbye.

SalemRover
06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Those are nice door cards...if you like that sort of a thing, you might as well nail a flush mount speaker on there. I can clearly see I'm on the wrong site.. thanks all and goodbye.

Dude... relax. It was a simple oversight on your part, and someone else called you out on it. He didnt attack you personally. No harm no foul. We arent counting rivets here. And yah.. I am into that sort of a thing. My rig has been off the road for a year or so and before that it was my daily driver. So creature comforts are nice to me, myself and my wifes approval of said purchases. I have spent the day failing at putting up a fence and am commiserating with a barley pop. I reccomend a Tucher Heffeweizen, rolled first to get the bottom bits and poured aggressively into a nice glass.

Cheers,

Jason

p.s. NO VODKA!

Revtor
06-02-2013, 05:56 PM
On a hot day that is a great recommendation for sure!!

SalemRover
06-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Ok so I made a decision on what to buy. After much digging I picked up a pair of Fusion MS-FR6021(link below). In my digging I found out that there is an ingress protection rating. The IPX-5 designation for these speakers should guarantee a trouble free life of service. Searching on this spec and speakers narrowed the choices down significantly. The nice thing I found about these is that there are a variety of faceplates, with one in black. Sony did have the next reasonable price for an IPx5 speaker, but that model in particular did not have a black option, and if I did spray the cover plate the underlying cone was white which is verboten! I managed to find a new in box set of the fusions for 110$ with shipping which is 40$ more than the sonys. I drilled a hole in the RN card in the center and measured the depth at 3.2 inches on a series door. If you had a more modern defender door frame that depth would increase slightly.

Ingress Protection Rating
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Wiki/IP-Rating.html

Fusion 6" speakers
http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/speakers/ms-fr6021

I Leak Oil
06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
3.2" eh? I didn't look at the depth of the fusions but leave some space for the cones to jump around as you are blaring the techno!

stomper
06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I envision Jason as more of a Frank Sinatra kind of guy! ;)

SalemRover
06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I envision Jason as more of a Frank Sinatra kind of guy! ;)

Yah, I love some good Frank when everything is running well, or some Gypsie Kings. I do need some Rage Against the Machine playing when I have to remove frame bushings though.

SalemRover
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Hate to reply twice in a row but...
About that fence problem, and all this rover talk.

Problem solved! :cool:

cedryck
06-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Ha, I tried having a sound system in the D90 I once drove. Problem was after 50 miles per hour just could not hear it, gave up and wore ear phones instead.

I Leak Oil
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Ha, I tried having a sound system in the D90 I once drove. Problem was after 50 miles per hour just could not hear it, gave up and wore ear phones instead.

Totally agree but I would be embarrased sharing ear phones with my friends at the camp ground!:cool:

SalemRover
06-11-2013, 06:27 PM

I thought headphones/earbuds while you drive were illegal.

SafeAirOne
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I thought headphones/earbuds while you drive were illegal.

You mean like blaring music at 130db so you can hear it over the din of a 2.5 Diesel (in some states)?

:D

SalemRover
06-12-2013, 06:27 AM
You mean like blaring music at 130db so you can hear it over the din of a 2.5 Diesel (in some states)?

:D

I know how loud diesels can be and yes you do have to raise your voice to have a conversation in one, but honestly it is not ear shattering loud at highway speeds. Besides the only way you are going to get 130db out of my head unit is with dynamite. I just need to hear enough to carry the tune. Its a sanity thing, its either focus on the song or wonder endlessly what is making *THAT* new rattle? Is it the gear in back? Did a harness comes loose, and my god if that dipstick rotates to play percussion on my inner wing again I am going to cut that thing DOWN!

o2batsea
06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white. Like what am I, Liberace or something? Anyway, I don't believe that with modern speakers with Poly cones and all, that there's any real difference between the marine version and the landlubber version other than color. Marine speakers are supposed to be installed such that the backs are not exposed to water.
My personal preference are either the Infinity or JL Audio ones. If you go to the JL Audio website they sell obsolete, but still very high quality, items in the clearance section. You can get an amp for the door speakers for about two thirds price direct with warranty:
http://www.jlaudio.com/m4500-marine-audio-m-series-legacy-amplifiers-98096

I Leak Oil
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white.

...and more expensive on top of it.....

I suspect with marine grade speakers some other differences may be the materials used at the connections and they way they are sealed. Plus the box has a picture of a boat so that has to be worth an extra $5.:)

SalemRover
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
IDK why every effin thing that's "marine" only comes in white. Like what am I, Liberace or something? Anyway, I don't believe that with modern speakers with Poly cones and all, that there's any real difference between the marine version and the landlubber version other than color. Marine speakers are supposed to be installed such that the backs are not exposed to water.
My personal preference are either the Infinity or JL Audio ones. If you go to the JL Audio website they sell obsolete, but still very high quality, items in the clearance section. You can get an amp for the door speakers for about two thirds price direct with warranty:
http://www.jlaudio.com/m4500-marine-audio-m-series-legacy-amplifiers-98096

The JL ones are silly expensive. If you poke back earlier into the thread I did find that there is an ingress rating for electronics and the ones I picked are IPX-5 which has this following rating:

Water projected by a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects (30kn/m2 is apx. 4.5psi)

That is pretty darn good for what I expect out of it. That and for 110$ there is a black faceplate option for free at no cost. The box arrived last week, but I have been busy with end of school year and an alternator that gave up the ghost. Having the unit in hand I am actually impressed at the quality of the manufacturing on it. They honestly look really well made. The wires to the center tweeter are fully sealed and rubberized, it looks like good stuff. I did take the time to shorten the dipstick handle, damn thing was making me crazy.

Jason