PDA

View Full Version : Door Cards - RN vs Iron Goat

toga Rover
06-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Aside from the price difference, I would like to ask owners for their feedback on each of these products.

RN Model #: RNA4700
http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA4700&type=0&eq=&desc=INTERIOR-FRONT-DOOR-PANEL-SET---RH%2bLH---FOR-DEFENDER-90-AND-SERIES-III&key=it

Iron Goat (Rocky Mountain)
http://www.parabolicsprings.com/products.html

I have a 1973 109 5-door RHD, and I like to drive the summer months with my window frames removed. I see that the RN Cards have the window frame bolts and nuts exposed. The Iron Goat cards would have to have access holes cut in to them.

I would eventually like to add a stereo to the truck. I have read the verbal battle regarding this idea, and side with those who like at least some hint of music while driving.

1. Pro's of your door cards?
2. Con's
3. Other comments

thanks everyone

Dave A
Toga Rover

SalemRover
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I have the RN product and am quite happy with them. The RN cards do have the window frame bolts exposed. They are accessible with a little finagling witha 3/8" ratchet and deep socket. I honestly dont think you can go wrong with either product. The RN card uses a styrofoam backing to reinforce the lower center of the door panel to prevent overflexing and cracking. It appears that the RN door card can accommodate a larger speaker and "appears" to present a slightly thinner profile than the Iron Goat door cards. You do get 2 pockets on the Iron goat and its not clear how they are constructed on the interior. They appear a bit proud and if they are as rigid as they look it makes the lower door more prone to breaking than the bungee/soft material pockets on RN.

artpeck
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Not to seem snarky but...I ordered the RN cards awhile back. I wasn't ready to install them so didn't open them for awhile. When I did I found that they didn't fit the handle configuration (direction of how the lever opens) of my very stock SIII and could never get the issue resolved with RN. Happy to sell them to someone who can make them work for their truck. Otherwise the quality was fine.

toga Rover
06-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you both for your feedback.

Artpeck. What was it that could not get resolved? Can you provide photos? Anyone else out there have issues with the door latch area during install?

What about space for sound deadening material behind the card? Dynamat, second skin, or the encapsulated foam with sticky backing from Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks.

Dave

artpeck
06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
My issue was the the cards were designed for the door handle levers to pull one way and they actually pulled the other. I would have to loo to give a better description but am not with the truck now. I don't know if this was that my truck wa unique but I think that was unlikely. More that the cards were designed for a different truck and simply didn't fit mine. I contacted rn several times but never heard back from them and life took over so they are sitting in a box.

pitchrollyaw
06-19-2013, 08:37 AM
I have the Iron Goat cards on my SIII and like them. They are very tough and, surprisingly, required very little fiddling to get on, just some minimal filing to not rub on the door stop rod, probably more the vehicle than the card. I chose the IG cards based on what I read about them and I thought they were a more period look for an early SIII.

pros:
tough-seems like it would be hard to break these in any reasonable use, even the pockets
easy to fit, the seller included extra screws and bolt caps, a nice touch
smooth finish, easy to clean
2 decent sized pockets, about as much as you can do there
no vendor/brand emblems...matter of taste

cons:
smooth, plastic finish-depends on taste
covers the door top bolts

Having seen both, I would go the IG route again, but either one is functional. I have a sheet of Dynamat in each door, also, the door cards are a big black expanse when open so I took a hint from modern vehicles and put ~1"x3" Hella reflectors on the flat section of the lower outside pockets. I bought mine directly from IG, the owner was pleasant to deal with.

I Leak Oil
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I contacted rn several times but never heard back from them and life took over so they are sitting in a box.

Well hopefully Les will be following this and can help you out. Or call and ask to talk to him. Go into it armed with photos of your latch setup as well as the area of the door card that doesn't work with them. Quite possible that you don't have the stock latches and is just as likely that the cards were made wrong. Who knows. For the money you spent I'd be on the phone everyday until it got resolved one way or the other.

ThePhotographer
06-19-2013, 09:15 AM
My issue was the the cards were designed for the door handle levers to pull one way and they actually pulled the other. I would have to loo to give a better description but am not with the truck now. I don't know if this was that my truck wa unique but I think that was unlikely. More that the cards were designed for a different truck and simply didn't fit mine. I contacted rn several times but never heard back from them and life took over so they are sitting in a box.

I am very sorry to hear this. Please give us a call and ask for Art, he will take care of it for you.

Cutter
06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I think the RN require antiburst latches, from the description and images on the site. I know they won't work on my stock SIII latches as pictured.

SalemRover
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I think the RN require antiburst latches, from the description and images on the site. I know they won't work on my stock SIII latches as pictured.

I thought all S3's came stock with anti-burst.

pitchrollyaw
06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
I thought all S3's came stock with anti-burst.

I believe they were standard on the NAS SIII's, but optional for quite a while after on ROW vehicles. I think the NHTSA laws started to affect locks and such in '67-'69 or so.

w

TedW
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
I believe they were standard on the NAS SIII's, but optional for quite a while after on ROW vehicles. I think the NHTSA laws started to affect locks and such in '67-'69 or so.

w

FWIW Anti-Burst locks came standard on my '70 IIA.

toga Rover
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Any pictures of the two side by side for comparison?

SalemRover
06-20-2013, 06:40 AM

I would just keep my eyes out at a rally and check each out. Finding 2 rovers with the diff cards and parking next one another for this purpose probably has not been done yet. Ill keep my eye out. If I see any series rovers around Ill stop and check, cause you know we all do that anyways...

toga Rover
06-20-2013, 07:48 AM

I meant to say anti-burst latch picture next to a standard latch for comparisons. Sorry.

pitchrollyaw
06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
I meant to say anti-burst latch picture next to a standard latch for comparisons. Sorry.

easy way to tell is the anti-burst latches have a rotating latch on the door and round stud striker on the b pillar like a modern car. the non a-b have a simple in/out latch almost like a cabinet...

here is an anti-burst latch from the web:8356

didn't see any good pics of the business end of a non a-b latch in my quick search...

mearstrae
06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
My '76 SIII has the cabinet style sliding latches, not the anti-bursts, but it's a RHD from England (so it's ROW not NAS). I wonder when (or where) the anti-burst became standard?

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S