PDA

View Full Version : New Series III Owner (Changing Gear Issues)

acorkran
06-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Aloha,
I am a new owner of a 1983 Series III LWB and love it so far. It is a re-built and has about 19,000 miles on it since being redone. It has been a bucket list to own one and I have not been disappointed.

Now for the points. I know nothing about cars. I can change the oil, and check fluids. That is about it.

Here are the issues. I am having issues changing gears. To use someone's words to describe, " it is like trying to find keys in a oil can with a broomstick, blind." Bottom line. It feels sloppy. Is this normal? In reading the posts, which I am truly greatful for, it can be a easy fix, or a major re-construct.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dunerunner
06-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Double clutch, or try pumping the clutch. Think about having the vehicle inspected at a repair shop that knows Series Land Rovers. I am assuming the gears grind....

Clutch Slave Cylinder?

ArlowCT
06-22-2013, 03:12 PM
A lot if times the ball on the end of the shift lever gets worn down over time. It will not be a tight fit in the slots of the shifting forks and cause a lot of slop on the shifter. My cousins got so bad it would slide out between the shift forks and it left you unable to shift!

It's a great starters fix. Unbolt both pass and driver side floorboards. Remove transmission tunnel cover. Unbolt shifter, transfer mounting bracket to new shifter and reinstall.

Lots of hep can be found here, cheers!

disco2hse
06-22-2013, 03:30 PM
It's not a Ferrari and like any older car, it will feel sloppy. You only need to be concerned if it fails to go into gear or it falls out of gear.

Clutch will have nothing to do with the feel of the gear lever, but if the clutch is not disengaging, then you will not be able to get it into gear without a lot of noise and concerned looks from people walking past you.

Think of it as an opportunity to learn how to "feel" the health of your car.

artpeck
06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
A lot if times the ball on the end of the shift lever gets worn down over time. It will not be a tight fit in the slots of the shifting forks and cause a lot of slop on the shifter. My cousins got so bad it would slide out between the shift forks and it left you unable to shift!

It's a great starters fix. Unbolt both pass and driver side floorboards. Remove transmission tunnel cover. Unbolt shifter, transfer mounting bracket to new shifter and reinstall.

Lots of hep can be found here, cheers!

Agree on the above. If the ball wears it can even leave the transmission in one gear as you are looking for another. I had this issue and pulled the shift lever. Bought a piece of higher pressure, abrasion resistant tubing and press fit it onto the end where the ball was supposed to be. Shift smooth and has lasted very well.

artpeck
06-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Also if you haven't buy the green repair manual. It will both help you make repairs and educate about the various systems of the truck.

Broadstone
06-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Having the green repair manual is like having instructions for the model cars and such we all built as kids. It makes everything dead simple and step by step. Best part is that getting tripped up on something is never a big deal with all these fellow owners and their experience backing you up. I too agree with the slop in the ball on the shifter, though could be as simple as the shifter base being loose also. Good luck with the truck.

wrighthm
06-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi, I'm not sure to what degree your truck is difficult to shift but this may be helpful anyway. Since you are new to old cars this was the first thing that came to my mind (with the analogy you gave). There is a tension gate (not a technical term) for reverse that could either be missing parts or just flipped around like mine was when I received my Rover. Without the tension for reverse there would be no starting point or pattern felt if you have never driven around in one of these. I thought I was good at finding gears since im into old volkwagens but I had to re-learn to drive when I got my Rover. This would be, I think the easiest fix of all the possible scenarios that everyone has brought up so far. If you can find neutral you can find 3rd, 4th and reverse if everything else is kosher with your truck. That would be a good starting point and then all the gurus here can help from there after better understanding your problem.

Glad to see another new one here!

acorkran
06-22-2013, 09:55 PM
To all thanks for all the advice. The issue is the entire shifter moves to the right and cannot find the gear. It seems that the entire bottom , where the gears would normally slide, in moves. Will start digging into tomorrow. If the ball is worn then I assume that there is to be a make shift fix as they don't make those parts anymore....correct?

Again thanks to all and more to follow.

acorkran
06-22-2013, 10:04 PM
The gears don't grind. I am just having a hard time finding them.

Jim-ME
06-23-2013, 05:56 AM
You can still get a new lever from out hosts. Check and see if the grub screw (see the diagram of the levers in the parts section of this site) located on the right side of the silver housing is still there. If it is missing it might act as you describe.
Jim

stomper
06-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Just saw this thread. Yes, See if the Grub screw is still there and not completely worn out! I had mine work itself out of the hole while driving down a mountainside in New Hampshire. I reached to downshift, and everything was floppy and I could barely find a gear. It was a little freaky when it happened, but it is a simple in flight repair if you can find the screw and have a screw driver handy!

acorkran
06-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Awesome and first time that I heard of grub screw. Thanks to all for the gouge and will reply with any questions.

mearstrae
06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Ah, a 'Grub Screw' is what we call a 'Set Screw' on this side of the pond.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500s

Les Parker
06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Welcome to RN BBS.

RN offers a Proline part :- PLT014 Gear Lever :-

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLT014&type=0&eq=&desc=SHIFT-LEVER---MAIN-GEARBOX-SERIES-II%2c-IIA-%26-III-LHD&key=it

Best,

StX_Rovers
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Welcome to RN BBS.

RN offers a Proline part :- PLT014 Gear Lever :-

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLT014&type=0&eq=&desc=SHIFT-LEVER---MAIN-GEARBOX-SERIES-II%2c-IIA-%26-III-LHD&key=it

Best,

It appears your Rover is RHD so you will need a different lever than Les mentioned. I am sure they can get it as when the lever on our 2A 109 broke we got a RHD shift lever from RN for a Series 3 as that is all that was available even then.

Definitely check that grub screw as ours has come loose once. If it has loosened up, try cleaning up the threads and reassembling with just a drop of Purple Loctite (the weakest formula)

acorkran
06-27-2013, 11:24 PM
It is RHD and will look at the grub screws this weekend. Drove it the other day and still loose but manageable. Will post once I find out if grubs were the issue. Thanks again to all.