PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa Clutch Adjustment Question

kenscs
06-23-2013, 08:32 AM
I am looking for help on a somewhat perplexing clutch issues. I recently replaced my 1971 Series IIa Brake Master Cylinder and in the process removed the brake/clutch reservoir, which allowed air in the clutch system. Therefore, once I was done bleeding the brakes, I also bled the clutch from the clutch slave bleed valve. Once a lot of pretty ugly DOT4 fluid flushed clear, I tightened up, fired up the truck, and put the truck in gear, released the clutch and NO engagement at all. Prior to this, the clutch worked totally fine. Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing before? I am thinking maybe the previous owner had the slave throw length adjusted in a way the allowed the clutch to engage, but now with new fluid, it is somehow keeping the clutch thrown out. Master adjustments seems fine, but hard to really see in the box and see if pushrod is adjusted exactly right, but I would not think that is it, since this is off by a LOT, not just a little slipping. Literally, no engagement at all. When I lay under the truck, I can see the slave push rod moving up and down with the pedal.

Jim-ME
06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Do you have a green bible? I'd check the rod length and set it accordingly. If it still doesn't work make sure the pin that holds the operating lever is intact.
Jim

StX_Rovers
06-23-2013, 02:28 PM
You might have a similar problem to mine. On our 67 2A diesel the hub of the driven disk got stuck in the piece that the throw out bearing engages with so it was kind of fused together. In our case not enough to engage or disengage. Is the lever that the pushrod attaches to mostly horizontal when the clutch pedal is up? Can you move it down a lot? If so somehow the pressure plate is going forward. Also check your adjustment as mentioned. If you need to go further, pull the transmission tunnel and gearshift lever and you can then look down into the bellhousing to see if anything is awry. Good luck.

Best, Dave

siii8873
06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
is your TCase in neutral? Don't ask why I'm bringing this up.

StX_Rovers
06-23-2013, 03:13 PM
is your TCase in neutral? Don't ask why I'm bringing this up.

Brilliant. That would be so easy to just knock the lever when bleeding the system. Definitely sounds like the voice of experience......

kenscs
06-26-2013, 06:45 AM
Brilliant. That would be so easy to just knock the lever when bleeding the system. Definitely sounds like the voice of experience......

Uh, i think i just got some "experience" with this too. That was it... I think my Rover Junior Mechanic certificate just got revoked. ;-). Thank you.

Donnie
07-01-2013, 08:40 AM
I was thinking along those lines also, but was afraid to bring it up

bamarover-lp
11-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Ok. New member - not computer literate - first time post, so go easy on me. My 67 2A diesel has same issue after I bled brakes and slave cylinder. In layman's terms, how do I get my clutch pedal working again.