PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery Solution?

gogo34
06-26-2013, 08:04 PM
I need to replace the original elephant hide upholstery in my '66 SIIa. The stuff has just disintegrated over time and I suspect the PO didn't exactly take care of it. Nothing is salvageable. The frames and underlying cushions have all been repaired so all I need is the fabric to be sewn. I've called about a dozen places and because its the heart of "boat season," the prices are outrageous. Anybody out there know what the going rate should be for the fabric and sewing labor? I'll reassemble them, just need them sewn.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

SafeAirOne
06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think you're going to be able to get anyone to custom sew something but NOT fit them to each seat bottom, back and bench.

It's the sort of thing where the upholstery is made to fit the piece, unless you know someone that has a standard set of patterns for your exact style seats and your foam/cushion material is in like-new shape.

Doesn't RN or Exmoor sell a set of replacement seat coverings?

Tried to search "exmoor" on the RN site, but it comes up with 10 pages of matches that I really don't want to comb through, but it might be worth a look.

Paul and Judson
06-27-2013, 05:30 AM
RN sells the EH material by the yard. You could buy some and wait for the end of the upholstery busy season to have the work done. That is what we did with the temple pads on our 109. The labor cost $150 to replace the padding and recover the temple pads.

Eric W S
06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Sell the bases and just buy entire EH replacement seats if you need them in a hurry. EwS

Paul and Judson
06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
We have a set of front seats for a series IIa 109 (3 seats bottoms and 3 backs )in EH. They are in reasonable condition. We do not need them and are interested in selling them. If you or any one is interested, contact me for pictures and make me an offer.