PDA

View Full Version : 1976 SIII Front Axle?

SkinlessFrank
06-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi all - I'm trying to get into the world of Rovers and I'm looking for some help when looking at some of these beasts. I have experiences with Jeep CJs, but not enough to give me a "warm and fuzzy" with the LRs.

So - my first question is...
I have some pictures [attached] of these knuckles and I am seeing oil/lube (brakes are solid-no leaks). Now this truck was sitting for AT LEAST a year after import from the UK...but should I be worried? Will I need to replace/rebuild or is this just part of the SIII "marking it's territory".

Oh yeah - use is intended for commuting 10-15 minutes and weekend jaunts to go hiking, sculling, biking...that sort of thing

Please advise...TIA,
Sean

Tim Smith
06-06-2007, 11:09 PM
First off, welcome to the world of rovers. Sounds like you enjoy a lot of the same things we all do. Jeep and rover folks alike.

As for your issue(s). I'd be concerned but depending on what you can do.

On close inspection of your picture, the leak looks like it's coming from the drum. Hmm. Are you sure the brake system isn't leaking? Those stains look evaporated to me which makes me of dot 4 fluid.

If that isn't it, then it's time to figure out what is low on fluid. Check the diff and the swivel balls. Your picture doesn't look like the swivels (due to oil on the inside of the wheel as opposed to just dripping down the side of the tire) but I could be wrong. Both should have oil right at the top of their fill bolts, but that is rarely the case. Ask if you need help locating them.

As for daily usage, well just make sure you have oil in the front end (both swivels and axles). If it's leaking then your truck is just marking it's territory. Respect that and make sure it's full as often as you can before you can change the seals.

If you have locking front hubs then unlock them until you can be sure of and fix the leak <hoping it's the hub seals here>.

In the end, I see the possible causes being:
1) Bad slave cylinder. Watch the master for lost fluid.
2) Bad hub seal (open the drum and see where the leak is coming from), which would lead to lost axle/diff oil levels. The fix can vary depending on where the leak is.
3) Bad swivels, which could be a pain in the wallet unless you can do it yourself or you are lucky. But also look for a loose drain plug.

As a last note, You mentioned that it was an import. Ach! I keep seeing series trucks on ebay. They usually have a varied and what I consider an unwelcome history. The paint on your swivels makes me think that this might be the case. Ach again!

The good news is that these trucks are basically bolted together tonka toys. Nothing can't be fixed!

Tim Smith
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Oh, by the way...

Looks like you've got a good coat of waxoil on everything down there. Good stuff!

Keep spraying it on as you are in the salt belt my friend. Until the day you go galvanized that is...

Cheers,
Tim

graniterover
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Your spring is bolted to the frame with a single shackle plate sticking out. The shackles go in the rear. Not sure why you'd have a 'spare' one sticking out.

In addition, the u bolts that hold the springs on seem like they have no threads sticking out. If there are only a few threads in there, you might want to get new bolts as it wouldn't be fun to get your brakes working good enough to puke the front axle right off.

Before you drive that thing, I'd unbolt the entire front end - shackles, steering links etc, then bolt it back the way it should go.

Finally, as Tim says, that's brake fluid. (My guess anyway).

Tim Smith
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Your spring is bolted to the frame with a single shackle plate sticking out. The shackles go in the rear. Not sure why you'd have a 'spare' one sticking out.

In addition, the u bolts that hold the springs on seem like they have no threads sticking out. If there are only a few threads in there, you might want to get new bolts as it wouldn't be fun to get your brakes working good enough to puke the front axle right off.

Good eye, I noticed the shackle plate but was thinking it was something to do with flat bedding and container shipping. But you are right. It's wrong by being there.

The more I look at that picture the more and more I can imagine MOT type quick fixes done at the local garage.

---

Sean,
Send us more pictures of that thing. Let's see if there aren't other possible areas to look for trouble. Hoping we can either confirm a good truck or get you in the right direction with it.
:thumb-up:

Cheers,
Tim

BackInA88
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Looks like they used a shackle bolt and than used a shackle half as a spacer because the ran out of thread.:eek:

msggunny
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Is it me or is the bumper not bolted on? Maybe its welded on top but there are no bolts coming through the horn.

jp-
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Is it me or is the bumper not bolted on? Maybe its welded on top but there are no bolts coming through the horn.

Sharp eye.

But did you notice that the truck is a RHD?

Tim Smith
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I can just see Sean reading these responses, thinking "What have I gotten myself into???"

LOL

Sean, I hope you're not getting scared off by these eagle eyes on the list.
:D

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
This is exactly what I ws looking/hoping for!!! (feedback, that it)

This is a locking front, it ~was~ disengaged when I looked at it, for what that's worth.

1/2 shackle - I assumed it was some sort of hack/towing setup...or as described, somethign for shipping. Nothing has apparently been done to it since it came off the boat.

It is indeed a RHD (which is what I want) and it is a diesel (more in another thread). My impression is that this truck was cobbled together in the UK, then exported. The axles seem to be swap-ins, the engine doesn;t match the VID tags (Petrol not Diesel), and a lot of patch work seems quick-fix in nature.

That being said, Series are the coolest truck out there & I have a bit of a crush on this one :-\

I'll get another pix up once I get it uploaded to another site.

Thx,
S

Tim Smith
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
This is exactly what I ws looking/hoping for!!! (feedback, that it)

This is a locking front, it ~was~ disengaged when I looked at it, for what that's worth.

1/2 shackle - I assumed it was some sort of hack/towing setup...or as described, somethign for shipping. Nothing has apparently been done to it since it came off the boat.

It is indeed a RHD (which is what I want) and it is a diesel (more in another thread). My impression is that this truck was cobbled together in the UK, then exported. The axles seem to be swap-ins, the engine doesn;t match the VID tags (Petrol not Diesel), and a lot of patch work seems quick-fix in nature.

That being said, Series are the coolest truck out there & I have a bit of a crush on this one :-\

I'll get another pix up once I get it uploaded to another site.

Thx,
S

Ding ding ding
We've got a winna!

Sounds like the truck needs you as much as you need the truck.
Congrats!

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
this ~should~ be a closeup image....but on the opposite side.

http://lh6.google.com/image/seantcunningham/RmhEpfMQs2I/AAAAAAAAAQA/0gUS83wWmiI/DSC02242.sm.jpg

I can;t check the truck again...a little too far from my house for a random driveby and sit under the truck for 1/2 hour.

I think I am on-board with the brake lines...I'll post more questions, then we'll see if another dream becomes a nightmare ;)

Thx,
S

msggunny
06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Sharp eye.

But did you notice that the truck is a RHD?

Didnt look any different than mine, but mine is RHD too so didnt notice. :D