PDA

View Full Version : Facet pump not priming

rickv100
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
After having problems with 2 mechanical fuel pumps I installed a Facet cube pump. I installed it on the inner frame rail forward of the passenger side fuel tank. I have an Ex-Mod Series 3 with the saddle tanks. I ran a line from the passenger fuel tank to the pump bypassing the fuel tap to lessen possible leak points.

I made sure the lines are clamped tight and the cube pump is mounted at a 45 degree angle. The fuel tank has about 4 gallons of gas in it. I have blown out the fuel pickup and the lines are new 5/16 ethanol proof rubber lines.

I cannot get the pump to prime. I have let it run for about 2 minutes at a clip several times and it is not picking up fuel.

I have double and triple checked my clamps to make sure there are no leaks. Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Rick

mearstrae
06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
I know this may sound stupid but... Is it wired correctly? Are the hoses on the correct ports (In - Out)? Stranger things have happened.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

bugeye88
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Rick,
I also have a facet pump, although mine is placed after the mechanical pump and used to prime the carb or use in case the mechanical pump fails. I place it after the mechanical pump to avoid pumping gas past a failed mechanical pump into the crankcase. I have used the facet pump on several applications and never had one fail or not pump. They are solid state and do not have a diaphragm, so if it sounds like it is working it should pump. I would look at the pick up tube for the tank you are drawing from first. I have seen a pick up tube that is partially rotted away and does not go to the bottom of the tank. This is often not noticed in two tank applications if this is in the tank that feeds the other tank. Pull off the plate with the pick up in it and check that it goes clear to the bottom of the tank. Or you could pull the fuel tank line and put it in fuel in a container and try.

KTF
Rob

dunerunner
06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Re-check the direction of flow. Just a thought...

giftshopduane
07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Facet pumps are junk, as are any mechanical/solenoid type pump. Go with a Carter rotary vane instead, no more than 6-8psi..

mearstrae
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
LOL...What Duane said.... Used to have Facet (Think: "Just as good as Lucas.") pumps on my 3500S and my Series III, and both have Carters on now, that have been in use for years. Ditch the mechanical.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

blue bomber
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Use the carter p60504. Quiet and low pressure 2-4 psi and 30gph. I run this with my 5.7 liter engine. No problem supplying enough fuel. Made in USA, if that is important to you. Even a "crappy" new pump should draw fuel. Check the solder joints on the pick up tube. I used relays on all non original electrical items, fuel pump, hella H4 head lamps , etc. By doing this it keeps the load off the low current switching devices. I can honestly say I have had zero electrical issues since my rebuild. Just my .02
Cheers, Matthew.

rickv100
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Just an update. I read on another forum to prime the pump using a syringe to fill the pickup hose and disconnecting the output side so it was not pushing air. Once the facet pump was primed it developed suction.

Rick

o2batsea
07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Or, you can just suck on the business end of the hose that goes to the carb until you begin to feel a slight push of air from the hose (pump running). That's your signal to get the hose out of your mouth before you get a gulp of gasoline.