PDA

View Full Version : Putting it back together

rbbailey
06-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Finally putting this truck back together after 2 years. I know... I know.......

Anyway, in trying to do this job, I keep running across random crazy issues. Tools breaking that don't supposed to break. Brake lines that fit one end, but not the other. Badly flared brake lines from factory. Three broken bolts. Bad weather..... etc......

Anyway, the thing that is worrying me is that I am nervous about all the seals and gaskets. I'm freaked that I'm going to have leaks all over the place when I'm done, and I'll have to tear it all down again!

What should I know about buttoning up the engine cover, the water pump, the oil pan, and others in order to make the leaks all like factory new?

Jim-ME
06-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Use the Right Stuff or Permatex Ultra Black in place of paper gaskets. I would stick with a cork valve cover gasket so you can remove the valve cover to adjust valves.
Jim

SalemRover
06-30-2013, 07:23 AM
The D90 V8 guys taught me a neat trick for sump covers, this would work on a transfer case cover as well. They coat the bottom of the block and the pan with the right stuff Permatex 25238 using a heavy hand. Let this sit for 24hours to cure, then apply a shmear of fresh sealant on one side (to reactivate the sealant) and assemble. This allows you to get a good seal without a gasket. The water pump bolts always creeped me out. If they look corroded then replace them with new and dont get too heavy handed torquing them down. Do not get heavy handed with sealant on the water pump / water jacket seals. It is a great way to create a sealant rubber worm that gets dragged into the radiator.

NC_Mule
06-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Use the Right Stuff or Permatex Ultra Black in place of paper gaskets. I would stick with a cork valve cover gasket so you can remove the valve cover to adjust valves.
Jim
The Right Stuff is awesome. I've used it for years on old motorcycles, cars and Rovers and have never had it leak.

rbbailey
07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm pretty much getting it right, but time will tell.

I'm using Right Stuff, but for the $17 I paid for a can, I am very frustrated that it takes me 20 minutes of pulling the trigger to get on bead of sealant for the engine cover. Had to stop and try different methods several times, but nothing seemed to make it work better.

NC_Mule
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm pretty much getting it right, but time will tell.

I'm using Right Stuff, but for the $17 I paid for a can, I am very frustrated that it takes me 20 minutes of pulling the trigger to get on bead of sealant for the engine cover. Had to stop and try different methods several times, but nothing seemed to make it work better.

I bought some a few weeks ago and saw the new bigger can design but went with the smaller can and the applicator that I was use to. Sounds like the new applicator sucks.

StX_Rovers
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Use lots and lots of never sieze on the water pump bolts and even more so the thermostat bolts. The thermostat bolts are only 1/4" and long.
I have been generally using Hylomar and the regular gaskets and pretty satisfied but I will check out that Right Stuff stuff. That is a Permatex brand product? I will file away the D90 V8 trick.

rbbailey
07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I have the one that is in a small can. You pull the cap, twist it, and the handle comes up. You hold the handle down to get the stuff out, it just takes for. evah.

Jim-ME
07-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Right Stuff can also be purchased in a caulking gun tube. It is a better way to apply than the cans.
Jim

I Leak Oil
07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Use lots and lots of never sieze on the water pump bolts and even more so the thermostat bolts. The thermostat bolts are only 1/4" and long.

Yes.....