PDA

View Full Version : Yet a different SIIa clutch problem...

Papa Romeo
06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Hello, my '67 109 has recently developed what I presume to be a clutch problem that has me somewhat confused. On a recent trip, I was about 30 mins into the drive, when I noticed a vibration on engaging the clutch when pulling away from a stoplight. It would drive fine through the higher gears, then again at a stop, the vibration would worsen after pulling away from a stop. I decided to turn for home, and managed to get half way back with progressively worse vibration and shuddering even when shifting between the higher gears. About 10 mins from home, the problem went away entirely. No vibration and smooth shifting for the last few miles. The day after, I started it just for the sake of driving it into the garage, and since it felt good, I drove it around the neighborhood for 15 mins with no problem, until it started vibrating and shuddering again. So now I've parked it until I figure it out. I appreciate any thoughts on where to begin searching for the problem before I start taking things apart. Thanks.

JimCT
06-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Are you leaking more oil than normal out the bellhousing? Might me oil getting on the clutch plate

Hello, my '67 109 has recently developed what I presume to be a clutch problem that has me somewhat confused. On a recent trip, I was about 30 mins into the drive, when I noticed a vibration on engaging the clutch when pulling away from a stoplight. It would drive fine through the higher gears, then again at a stop, the vibration would worsen after pulling away from a stop. I decided to turn for home, and managed to get half way back with progressively worse vibration and shuddering even when shifting between the higher gears. About 10 mins from home, the problem went away entirely. No vibration and smooth shifting for the last few miles. The day after, I started it just for the sake of driving it into the garage, and since it felt good, I drove it around the neighborhood for 15 mins with no problem, until it started vibrating and shuddering again. So now I've parked it until I figure it out. I appreciate any thoughts on where to begin searching for the problem before I start taking things apart. Thanks.

Papa Romeo
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
It doesn't appear to be leaking more than the few drops here and there left on the garage floor.