PDA

View Full Version : Introduction...new to me SIII 88

awltoga
07-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Brief introduction....when I was about 15 I sent away for a RN catalogue and received a RN sticker...which went on my change jar (used glass gallon jar of hot sauce). It sat in the corner of my room, dorm room, various apartments, and now resides in the closet of my house.

I enjoyed the utilitarian look of Land Rovers and knew that I wanted one...some day.

Fast forward 20 years. I am the new owner of a '76 Series 3 88 RHD. For the price I figured I would be working on it all summer, fall, and winter (or years!!!) hoping to get it on the road (not restored) by the spring. Sat in a garage the whole time it was in the U.S. Came with long line of paper work, importing info and 4 new tires in the back. Best part...drove it on the hauler!

Well 48 hours later and can say I should have it on the road in a couple of weeks. Idles great, brakes are good solid, 4wd works well. Heck, even the wiper squirters work!

I've found that the left blinker doesn't work, turns on, but doesn't blink. So I will have to figure that out. And the gas gauge doesn't work...So, thats a pretty short list just to be able to drive around town.

The negative/normal problems...
1) some rust in the floors...nothing more than a quarter (25c) in size...from what I see
2) leaks...but nothing major
3) problems I have yet to see...yup know they are coming.

Over the next week I am going to pop drums off to check the brake shoes, get new tires on the steelies, fab a priming lever-thingy (missing).

In my town there is a nice collection of LR people with early defender, another S III 88 (that was in the last RN Rovers mag-the pale yellow RBE one), another S III that the guy drives around with the top off always.

Looking forward to bangin' around town this summer/fall. This winter I will be fixing some of the rust issues, adding a radio, CB, fabbing a brush guard in the garage, and fixing things I don't see now.

Thanks for the help of this great forum; searching and through inspiration. I'm sure I will be calling on you for help in the near future...and maybe...just maybe and I learn a thing or too I can pass it on.

http://flickr.com/gp/awltoga/0mgB6n
http://flickr.com/gp/awltoga/07m5YT
http://flickr.com/gp/awltoga/794h6A

StX_Rovers
07-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Nice looking Rover.

The left blinker turning on but not blinking could be as simple as one of the light bulbs burned out. If the right side turn signals work the flasher unit is fine. I believe the turn signal turning on but not blinking is intended to be a warning to the driver that they had a bulb out.

NC_Mule
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Sounds like you found a nice truck. Good work on following through with your dream. The only pic I could pull up was the last one of the interior. They are fun little trucks. Hopefully you have a dog to ride in the left front seat. I have a RHD as well and my lab sits up straight and people think he's the driver. I've lost track how many times people will come running over laughing about how they thought the dog was driving.

dunerunner
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Congrats and welcome to the fold!!

mearstrae
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Huzzah!!! Another Series III hits the road! Some dreams do seem to take forever, and this one won't become a nightmare, with the proper attitude. Rover owners must be intelligent and irrational, all at the same time (hopefully, if they have a better half, they are likewise, it saves a lot of trouble...).

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Les Parker
07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Yes, indeed, welcome to the Rover fold. Ask many questions, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

:thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:

kwells
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Nice truck man Congrats

awltoga
07-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Today I popped the drums. Couple set screws on the drums were sticky...so we fired up the torch, then they came out nicely. One drum was in there...released the bolt on the back of the plate and pried it off. The shoe had created a groove...So gave RN a call and ordered a new drum and new shoes all around. The blinker bulb was good (thanks stx), but the back socket was rotted away. So I pulled it and my dad fabbed a new ground for it...works now. New tires are getting swapped on as we speak.

Thanks again.

dunerunner
07-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Pics...Pics....Pics, Please? :thumb-up:

Rat Patrol
07-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats!