PDA

View Full Version : Radio replacement

Stephen99D1
06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I recently replaced my stock cassette player ( D1 ) with a new Alpine unit. After much trial and tribulation, and several blown fuses, I have audio from the speakers. I also have a significant amount of alternator noise. I've tried re-grounding the head unit to several different points, as well as using a noise isolator on the head unit - no improvement. All the car audio stores I've stopped in tell me to just take out the entire system and replace the factory speakers, amp, etc. :mad: I have enough other noise (roof rack, M/Ts) that I'm not looking for high-end sound... but a lack of alternator noise would be nice!

Anyone have any experience with these stereos (factory amplified system) and grounding? My understanding is that the factory system uses a "common ground" for the speakers - could this be a significant factor? If so, how and why?

Getting the factory subwoofers to work again will be the next question - but one thing at a time...

Stephen

LR Harrisburg
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
What model are you working with?

Stephen99D1
06-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Alpine CDA-9883

msggunny
06-08-2007, 06:20 PM
They make a noise isolator, cant remember what it is called. I used one on my D1 when i put in a Pioneer. My Disco also liked to play its electronic melody over my music, got quite annoying. I think it may have to do something with the ignition system too, either the plug wires or something else.

have fun.

zerocanon
10-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same trouble in my 93 Range Rover and I ended up replacing the Coil Suppressor on the ignition coil under the hood and that did the trick. Not sure if D1's have those, but here is the RR part:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2520-supressor-ignition-coil.aspx