X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen99D1
    Low Range
    • Dec 2006

Radio replacement

I recently replaced my stock cassette player ( D1 ) with a new Alpine unit. After much trial and tribulation, and several blown fuses, I have audio from the speakers. I also have a significant amount of alternator noise. I've tried re-grounding the head unit to several different points, as well as using a noise isolator on the head unit - no improvement. All the car audio stores I've stopped in tell me to just take out the entire system and replace the factory speakers, amp, etc. I have enough other noise (roof rack, M/Ts) that I'm not looking for high-end sound... but a lack of alternator noise would be nice!

Anyone have any experience with these stereos (factory amplified system) and grounding? My understanding is that the factory system uses a "common ground" for the speakers - could this be a significant factor? If so, how and why?

Getting the factory subwoofers to work again will be the next question - but one thing at a time...

Stephen
    99 D1
    06 LR3
    09 LR2
  • LR Harrisburg
    Low Range
    • May 2007

What model are you working with?

Comment

• Stephen99D1
      Low Range
      • Dec 2006

Alpine CDA-9883
      99 D1
      06 LR3
      09 LR2

Comment

• msggunny
        5th Gear
        • Jan 2007

They make a noise isolator, cant remember what it is called. I used one on my D1 when i put in a Pioneer. My Disco also liked to play its electronic melody over my music, got quite annoying. I think it may have to do something with the ignition system too, either the plug wires or something else.

have fun.
        First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
        77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
        Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
        04 DII
        08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• zerocanon
          Low Range
          • Mar 2007

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same trouble in my 93 Range Rover and I ended up replacing the Coil Suppressor on the ignition coil under the hood and that did the trick. Not sure if D1's have those, but here is the RR part:

Comment

Working...