PDA

View Full Version : Where to find......

nhlivfree
07-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Fairly new to the forum. Just acquired a Series III 88" from another forum member here 2 weeks ago and would like to mount the spare on the bonnet but can't find the correct tire clamp. Rovers North is out with no near term prospect of getting more. I have everything else. Any suggestions or anyone have one they are willing to part with?
Thanks in advance.
Kevin

SalemRover
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Deja vu...

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?3831-Bonnet-tire-clamp&highlight=clamp

Jim-ME
07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
I replaced the clamps with this Defender part (MRC5063) which works great unless you are looking to maintain originality.
Jim

nhlivfree
07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Gents, thanks for the replies and advice. Sounds like the Defender part will do the trick and at this point I will go with function and work on the form part going forward.

bobzinak
07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
I had ties that were to wide to use the standard bolts that held the tire mounts. I retapped the threads to a course americasn standard thread. made two 1/8 inch by 1 inch metal strips that i cut/filed square holes to fit carriage bolts that were long enough to reach the bonnet mounting holes. the strips were long enough to overlap ends with holes to put a padlock through. essentially they ended up looking like a "T" with the ends slightly bent up. I tried to find bs bolts that were long enough but did'nt find what I wanted. it worked out fine, and I had a way to secure the tire well and be able to use a lock for security. although it does look cool to have a hood mounted spare, with a larger tire it was not easy to lift the bonnet. also use caution when bumping around you rover, hood are not really that strong and you could end up cracking the inner steel braces. of course this assumes that you are not a owner who only uses "rover approved" parts. enjoy you new hobby, because a old land rover is not just a mode of transport, it is also a hobby.
ROVE ON, bobzinak.

nhlivfree
07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Bob,
any chance you could post a picture of your tire mount?
Thanks
Kevin

hankster110
07-06-2013, 01:51 PM
This is what I did...........it has the advantage of doubling as a light tie-down point.

SalemRover
07-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks for posting the pics, that it is a really easy fab job. As it turns out when I was rewiring my garage and consequently cleaning up I found the other clamp. Figures. The defender bonnet clamp is actually functional so i will stick with that.

Rat Patrol
07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Now thats a cool idea.