PDA

View Full Version : Fan noise

Stornoway
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
There's a 'rumbling' noise coming from the fan area on my '73 2.25L when it's running. When it's not running I can rock the fan to and fro in line with the engine. Is there a bearing inside the fan blade and pulley assembly I can replace or is there more to it than this? Thanks, Tim

NC_Mule
07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Does the water pump shaft rock to and fro with the fan? Have you checked the 4 bolts that hold the fan to the water pump? No bearings at the fan or pulley. Either your fan/pulley is loose or your water pump shaft is loose. I would expect to see some coolant leaking if it's the water pump, hopefully you just need to snug up the 4 fan bolts.
pb

east high
07-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a water pump on its way out.

StX_Rovers
07-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Do not waste your time with a rebuild kit. Spend the extra $15 for a complete water pump, I am pretty sure the genuine are NLA. I bought the kit. The piece the fan bolts to came loose from the shaft. Fan into radiator. Water pump not pumping. Steam from under bonnet. The $15 saved has now cost us $300 plus shipping for radiator, plus another $50 for a water pump. The worst part is that was not the worst part of the day but in the big picture still on the correct side of the grass. Did I mention to not buy the rebuild kit.

Okay, day just improved. Power went out on the feeder we used to be on at our old house. Since the house we built is all off grid, we still have power. Happy dance time.