PDA

View Full Version : STARTER MOTOR BOLTS, LOCKED UP MOTOR

Zimbos
07-15-2013, 07:35 AM
It's raining in dallas today so I decided it was a good day to get under the Rover. When I bought it, the starter was disconnected so I need to find the right size bolts to put it back on, does anybody know? When I bought it the motor was locked up so I took the plugs out and sprayed some anti sieze chemicals in and after 3 or so days of rocking the fan I have now have it unlocked. Any thoughts of future issues or do I still need to rebuild the motor? Cheers.

artpeck
07-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Start by checking the compression across the four cylinders. If its decent at least that tells you the rings and valves are fine. If not start with valves before making other assumptions.

If you take the plugs out you should be able to turn it over easily with the hand crank to do a compression test on all four cylinders.

parrie
07-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Before forcing the motor to turn for the compression check I'd suggest pulling the valve cover to verify that the valves are not stuck (open or closed). I know this from experience...the PO of my '61 managed to bend a couple of push rods because valves where stuck from sitting too long. Little did I know that the rods where most likely bent as he was trying to start it for me so I could hear it run...he neglected to tell me that it hadn't been started for a couple of years sitting outside in the fresh Maine salt air. The compression check can be done w/o the valve cover on plus you'll want to check the tappet clearances before you try to fire her up.

Zimbos
07-18-2013, 06:13 AM
THANKS GUYS I HAVE THE STARTER MOTOR ON AND AFTER HOURS OF FIDDLING WITH THE WIRING I AM GETTING THE MOTOR TO TURN FRON THE IGNITION HOWEVER I AM NOT GETTING A SPARK, IDEALY I NEED A DIGRAM OR PICTURE OF THE FUSE BOX I DID A COMPRESSION TEST I HAVE 2 AT 130 ONE AT 90 AND 1 AT 30 THE ONE AT 30 WAS A BUGGER TO GET THE PLUG OUT .THE BATTERY I BOUGHT WAS NEW BUT SEEMS TO NEED HELP TO CRANK ,

parrie
07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
The green bible has the wiring diagrams. If you do not have the green bible I beleive that you can access/print several wiring diagrams on our host's website. 130 compression is close to the recommended 140 but the 90 and 30 cylinders definately have an issue. My first inclination would be stuck valves which may be the reason your new battery is having a difficult time turning the motor...it's trying to force open a stuck valve which usually leads to a bent pushrod. Have you removed the valve cover?