PDA

View Full Version : 1976 SII - Diesel

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Again, looking at a 76 S3 RHD 2.25 (right?) diesel 4sp w/OD...

the diesel is smoky...VERY smoky at startup, but cleans up a bit once warm. It is lighter smoke - white/blue-ish & I am trying to guage if this is a big problem for this to continue as a runner.

From my other post on axles, I noted that I think this truck was bodged together in the UK and shipped here, where the current owner didn;t do anyting to it...he mentioned that he didn;t even drive it except around the block.

So I checked the engine - a LOT of oil...it seems to be really leaking out of the PCV...and puddling on the intake/head (see pict)

http://lh5.google.com/image/seantcunningham/RmhFmPMQtCI/AAAAAAAAARg/by8bPdMpmAw/DSC02254.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.google.com/image/seantcunningham/RmhFmvMQtDI/AAAAAAAAARo/fEiDJzDx0eo/DSC02255.JPG?imgmax=512

I also sniffed the fuel filler & is smelled strongly of petrol....so I think it may be burning petrol as well, and that may be the cause of the puffy smoke.

Again, this seemed to have once been a Petrol that was bodged together, I am thinking that no one flushed the tank.

..or:
- the valves are not seating?
- Engine is worn and on it's way out

...or
- that's just the was the 2.25L diesel is

My goal is to swap in a 200tdi in a year or 2...but I'd like to get this set up as a commuter (10-15 minutes) and weekend fun car. [I have a VW TDI already for my 50mpg distance driving]

Any thoughts on this one???

Thanks,
S

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 01:30 PM
sorry - It is an SIII, not II

also, the images aren't in-line...I'll keep working on that.

S

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah...there is a serious puddle on the ground right underneath the puddle on the intake.

Overview shot (trying inline image again)

http://lh4.google.com/image/seantcunningham/RmhCu_MQrfI/AAAAAAAAAFI/ZcWQDkKIbXk/1976Series3.Engine.02158.JPG?imgmax=512

Momo
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi Frank,

Well... having had a 2.25D in the past, if I were you I would start with a good pressure wash/steam clean of the engine, an oil change, fuel tank drain and refill.

A test drive will tell you alot. If it starts easily that's a good sign, if it has no power, lots of white or blue smoke, and only goes 10-15 mph you probably have injection pump/timing issues, or a bent rod, or bad rings...so many potential problems. Or it may be as simple as injection timing adjustment, valve job, fixing leaky gaskets, etc.

As a commuter, the 2.25D is fatiguing, even for 10-15 minutes. You will need earplugs. As a tractor, it's okay...just.

Last time I checked, CAV diesel components were spendy, to the extent that it's not really worth doing any serious work on those engines unless you are ga-ga over the 2.25D. I like your plan for a Tdi, and it's money better spent. The 200Tdi is a pleasure to drive.

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
:thumb-up:

OK, so - could be anything. (smile)

I'm not goign to be able to flush the tank, wash it, etc. before the test drive, so I a kinda S.O.L. when accelerating (no load, after warm up for 5 minutes) it was mostly clear with occasional whitish puffs...again, not driving.

My first visit was just me oogling it and taking pictures so I could look at it objectively. It is really difficult - I am tyring to put a price tag on it...what he is asking vs. what it is worth in the present condition vs what I need to put into it to make it drivable and ready for fall/winter.

I think I am just going to post a link and ask what people think...stuff on Ebay/craigslist/RN forum/WantAdvertiser is all over the road in terms of price/condition.

...ack...

- Sean

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
<snip>

Last time I checked, CAV diesel components were spendy, to the extent that it's not really worth doing any serious work on those engines unless you are ga-ga over the 2.25D. I like your plan for a Tdi, and it's money better spent. The 200Tdi is a pleasure to drive.

Actually, now that I look at it the Mercedes diesel sounds like a nice swap as well - those things are EVERYWHERE in the Northeast, engines humming, pushing a rusted out carcass of a 300D.

Also cheap...I just wonder about those motor mounts :sly:

- Sean