PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the clutch master cylinder

sleam
07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi,
How easy is it to adjust the clutch master cylinder?
My Series III is having some odd clutch stuff go on, nothing major, but worries me. From what I've read, it could be as simple as adjusting the push rod. The pressure feels good but just not enough, as though if I could push the pedal another fraction of an inch I could have more play when changing gears. It's that the first part of pushing the pedal does nothing and then I feel the pressure give and when i release the pedal, there is only a small time for the gears/ gas to work and so often it's clunky! Especially if I feel stressed by the traffic or hill starts. Any suggestions please?

artpeck
07-20-2013, 08:11 AM
It is straight forward other than perhaps access and since I am not at my truck I don't recall if adjusting is easy or requires disassembly of the wing as it does for replacement. The green book should give you a clear picture of what's required. Before that however since this seems to have come on suddenly I would make sure it's not a fluid or bleeding issue or a slave issue. If you have lost release clearance that would imply a leak most likely that is resulting is less pressure to fully open the clutch.

pitchrollyaw
07-20-2013, 09:03 AM
On the SIII I believe you will have to loosen and then move the rear of the wing outward to adjust the master cylinder's free play (6mm) and pedal height (140mm, both per the GB). With your symptoms I'd be ready to o/h or replace the master and slave, I'd probably do that anyway if you are going through the trouble of pulling the wing.

Now, when I repair/replace a master I also do the slave...based on my experience. My theory is a new master will push the old slave a little bit farther in the bore than it was and the seals get torn up in short order.

w

morgant
07-20-2013, 07:54 PM
If the Series III is the RHD you have in your signature, then you're in luck: there's no need to remove the wing to adjust the master cylinder's pushrod. Just take off the small plate covering the top (6 screws, IIRC) of the clutch pedal tower and you'll have access (although it's tight) to adjust. The Green Bible has a pretty good explanation of the correct adjustment, play, etc.

sleam
07-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks folks, got a new master and slave coming and a friendly mechanic near by who's going to teach me how. I'll let you know if we hit any problems. Thanks for the info.
s