PDA

View Full Version : Kicking over but not starting

rickv100
07-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I am having an issue with trying to get my Land Rover started. It turns over but will not catch. I get some sputtering but it will not catch. If I step on the gas while starting I will get a nice backfire every couple revolutions.

I have gapped the plugs, replaced points, condensor and coil. I have fuel to the carb.

Thoughts?

Rick

SafeAirOne
07-25-2013, 11:55 PM
If it's backfiring, I'd look at ignition timing and/or valve timing issues (valve clearance, timing chain slop, etc.).

PS: Don't trust new condensors.

StX_Rovers
07-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Take the rotor out and check to see that the tab inside is not broken off or severely worn. That happened to us on my wife's 88, and it is the only time I have ever had it happen. The rotor could move maybe 20 degrees on the shaft. Sometimes ran great, other times just barely. Replaced it and ran normally. While I suspect it is ignition related, the other thing is to absolutely confirm that you are getting fuel. I know you said you are getting fuel to the carb but is it getting into the carb? One way to check is to fill the carburetor bowl directly and try to fire it up. If it starts right up you have a fuel issue. This can be easy or hard depending upon what type of carb you have.

The other thing to consider is replace the points and condenser with a Pertronix unit. We did that and it has worked great on the 88 and the 63 MG we still have up in the states. Still keep a set of points and condenser in the storage box under the middle seat but have never needed to use them.

Good luck.

ArlowCT
07-26-2013, 07:09 AM
When wiring the plugs remember the dizzy turns counterclockwise or anti-clockwise as some may say!