PDA

View Full Version : Potential Rig - 76 Series III RHD 88' diesel

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all who replied about my other posts. I figured it might be worth posting this general request for feedback and link in the pictures that I have taken.

Worst case, if I pass on this rig, I can help out someone else who is looking ;)

So, here goes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/seantcunningham/1976LRSIII

I am trying to figure out:
a) if I want this project (yes, my decision) and....
b) how much to offer for it

"b)" is always the big question....the condition and potential bodginess (unknown quantity) of this rig makes me hesitate. It could be a great runner that needs only door posts and floor panels, or it could be that plus: engine, axles, wings, _____ , etc.

oh, it includes new para springs and soft-top hardware.

Again, (as always) any input is appreciated.

- Sean

msggunny
06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
The truck dosent seem too bad,

Few things.

The bulkhead is almost on its last leg. needs lots of work but looks still salvageable. there are lots of replacement panels that can be welded in to repair the rust damage.

the wiring needs work. The Dark Prince Lucas, the bain of most British cars, will rear his ugly head especially with some of the "mods" that i saw.

The undercarriage looks like what someone said in a previous thread. it was shot with undercoat to hide the rust and damage. Not good, but not a show stopper.

The rear cross-member has been replaced with a home made version, not sure if that means that the old one rusted out or it got smashed in the rear.

corrosion in the seat-box aluminium needs attended to as well.

Not sure how it runs, does the tranny pop out of gear when you are driving it? Lots of smoke, diesels are going to smoke a bit but not look like a crop duster when not under full throttle.

Bumper looks welded on. May be because the bolt holes were too rusted to hold it?

How are the brakes? It has the ROW brakes, not the servo assisted dual system like was in the US models. I still have that on my 77.

Whats the asking price?

There are several good rigs out there, biggest thing is the mechanical condition of the drive train, everything else can and most probably will need fixed/changed out/redone.

Hope you have a good set of tools some friends who like to wrench and some mechanical aptitude of your own!

Have fun!

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks Gunny...the Bulkhead is a big concern for me, but are you including the door post columns and those foot panels in the bulkhead. I thought the bulkhead was what the jeep crowd term Firewall...the Series seems to integrate them (and include the door posts?).
I have seen on ECR has the replacement/repair bulkheads (http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Bulkhead.html) which seems to be the whole thing...and Rovers North's online catalog is impossible to navigate - I think I have found all of the panels??? Hopefully the print catalogue is easier to read!

Wiring...yeah...well, it is about same as the old VWs (1970 ghia) and Jeeps (too numerous to mention), so I am not THAT worried. Everything works right now :-|

I hammered the frame for about 20 minutes and nothing popped through or dropped out - sounded really solid as well, a nice resonant "thunk" almost everywhere. I didn't know about the x-member...not a show-stopper, but good to be aware of.

It was only smoking badly at startup...not quite crop-duster quality, but I wouldn;t put it too bad - especially if it has old fuel and possibly mixed with petrol. I didn't drive it (I was too awed by it at first), but I stopped by later and the trannny felt great - like a freshly re-built T-18 from a ford truck. I will give it a run when I can co-ordinate with the owner.

Brakes - didn;t drive it, but they pushed back nicely at stop, didn;t lose pressure and didn;t need pumping. I stomped on it and nothing caused a torrent of fluid to fly out.

Asking 4.5k. I have seen a lot all around that price...most are in a little better condition for about the same $$$, some less expensive in about the same condition & then some people who think they have the rarest Rover in existance - no comment.

I just slimmed down my tool collection, and have a set of trail tools and home tools - also a buddy close by with an 8 car garage - a Mopar guy who has just about everything that I don't...if only he had extra space :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input...

SkinlessFrank
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot - it has the Fairly (sp?) OD as well...

jp-
06-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I wish I could be as forgiving as Msggunny, but I think you will be in for a great deal of work. It's always better to know what you're getting into on the front end. And from the photos, I'd say you'll have your work cut out. I don't want to scare you off the truck, but it is going to need many expensive parts (not to run, but to get it back to good condition). It does seem to be somewhat "cobbled" together as you stated, and "painted up" to sell. Is it worth $4500. No way. The seller must have some of that rust in his brain, or maybe he's still high on the fresh paint fumes. I've seen it before. Paint a car and sell the paint (not the car).

"How does it run?"

"It runs good, but look at that paint!"

I'd say no more than $2500, $3000 with the parabolics included.

You will have to plan on bulkhead work soon. You'll need a new hood frame, wiring soon, and possibly a frame at some point.

Diesel engines are a tough choice. You love em or hate em, and the Rover diesel is hated by many. Slow, underpowered, & noisy.

Mercedesrover
06-08-2007, 05:33 AM
JP is right. $2500 at best. Sure, that truck looks OK (good from far, far from good) but I see a whole pile of trouble.

Bulkhead - Needs footwells, door post, etc.

Frame - Home made x-member and if you look at the picture you took of the parking brake drum, right above that you'll see a hole in the frame and one in the spring perch. That frame isn't long for the world.

Engine - These Rover diesels are poor at best and that one seems to be past its usefulness. Nice, clean, good-running ones are suspect and that one seems far from that.

Everything else on the truck can be described in the same way. It's all there, but most of it is very poor.

I hate to burst your bubble but I'd rather you hear in now than learn it later. I was in your shoes about nine years ago and bought a truck very simillar to that one for WAY too much money. (Yes, even more than he's asking for that one!) I was young and foolish and it was my first Rover. The following year was a sharp learing curve and I'd hate to tell you the money I spent on that truck. All well worth it now but I get the feeling you're looking for a truck you can buy and put into service as a daily driver. A daily driver does not that truck make.

I've always said the cheapest old car you can buy is the most expensive one you can find. There are very few bargains out there in the Rover world...Too many excited new buyers! Save up a good chunk of change and buy yourself a nice one that won't break your bank account and your spirit after the sale. From what I've seen, $4000 buys junk but $10,000 buys a very nice one.

My $0.02

Jim

jp-
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I've always said the cheapest old car you can buy is the most expensive one you can find. There are very few bargains out there in the Rover world...Too many excited new buyers! Save up a good chunk of change and buy yourself a nice one that won't break your bank account and your spirit after the sale. From what I've seen, $4000 buys junk but $10,000 buys a very nice one.

My $0.02

Jim

Jim,

I have found the opposite is true. There are bargains to be had, if you are willing to put in the time. The best deals I have always gotten are on non running "old" vehicles. For some reason if it doesn't run, people think it is worth dramatically less. This also holds true in the Rover world. But actually getting the car running is usually easy! Because we are talking about "old" machinery, it is far simpler than the new crap.

Look for a good body and frame. And one that does NOT run. My first Rover cost me $0 (Gift), the second $450, and the third $600 (just recently acquired). Only the first ran.

I have also just gotten a TR4, straight body, minimal rust, doesn't run. Quite reasonable on the price.

Mercedesrover
06-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, I've had two Benz diesels given to me as well as a '67 109. But none were road-worthy. Maybe you can find a bargain here or there but my point was this truck Sean is looking at is far from a daily driver. A restoration project, sure, but it needs a fair amount of work to make it a reliable truck.

jim

jp-
06-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, I've had two Benz diesels given to me as well as a '67 109. But none were road-worthy. Maybe you can find a bargain here or there but my point was this truck Sean is looking at is far from a daily driver. A restoration project, sure, but it needs a fair amount of work to make it a reliable truck.

jim

Yes, it will probably not make a reliable daily driver in its current state. Usually Rovers need so much attention to this or that, I have begun to look at each from the prospectus of a restoration project. If you do that, you won't be buying with your heart so much as with your wallet. All I'm saying is that you should be very objective about any old car purchase, especially a Rover. Just look it over, and take a quick tally of what it will need to be in proper order. Show this to the owner, and start the bargaining.

Will somebody buy the truck for $4500?

Probably.

Will they be prepared for what they are getting?

No.

msggunny
06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey, check this out:

http://http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5996#post5996

He is asking 12K but seems desperate. 12 is a bit high but it looks like its in decent shape.

Momo
06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Sean, jp & Jim are right. That truck is a typical UK turd wrapped in a bow,
shiny new paint over rust and crud.

You can do better. If you're willing to spend 4500 then I think if you bite the bullet a bit more, you can get a much more sound truck for around 6000 and making it a driving project.

BackInA88
06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
If I did have my 88 I would be looking at this!
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473

SkinlessFrank
06-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes, I see all of the points here. Althought I am not locked into finading a DD, I do not see buying short to spend long. I have actually done that too many times with Jeeps - and that is (I think) what has me pausing at this.

The 4.5k difference between this SIII and the AJ2393 rig is almost a joke. Although I can't see under it, it seems like the person really did a great job. Some things are apparent..others, need weeding through.

I ~really~ REALLY appreciate the feedback on this rig - You guys have been excellent in helping me work this option out. I'll keep looking, saving, and trying to find a true "deal". Kudos to the Rover community...

Oh, and a plug for Les (at RN) for going out of his way and taking the time to talk Diesel to me a week or 2 ago. It is nice to see people (and a company) who will do the right thing, and who understand working for "tomorrow's customer" instead of a dollar today.

In the mean-time, I'll keep lurking ...

Cheers,
Sean

SkinlessFrank
06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah, if anyone IS interested in this rig, I'd be happy to pass along the contact 411....just drop me a line.

-S