PDA

View Full Version : My Series 3 Barely Stops

Faulkner34
07-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone - I am new to the forum and new to classic Land Rovers. I recently purchased a 1973 88 with the goals of having a fun vehicle to cruise around in and advancing my pretty limited understanding of vehicle mechanicals.

My first project is to diagnose and fix the brakes. Right now the stopping distance on a flat surface with the brake pedal pushed all the way down is probably close to 150 feet. It eventually stops but it isn't safe in its current state. Based on what I have read in other forum posts the master cylinder looks like it could be the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if the drum / shoes are also in need of fixing.

With that said, I wondered if anyone could suggest a sequence to follow from removing the wheel, taking apart the brakes, and diagnosing the issue? The simpler the language the better as I really am starting with limited knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PS - I attached a photo of my Series 3

I Leak Oil
07-28-2013, 12:53 PM
First off....get a shop manual, read it and understand what you're looking at and how the system works. Otherwise we're all just talking in different languages! Cool truck too...What is that symbol on the door?

ArlowCT
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
If you pump the brake pedal quickly and it does not go the the floor it could be a sign of air in the brake system. Also, almost all other brake systems have a way of automatically adjusting the brakes to compensate for brake wear. The rover does not. It has a bolt on the backside of brake mounting plate (backing plate) that needs to be turned to do this. If your brakes are worn they need to travel farther to contact the drum resulting in more travel in the brake pedal. Both of these are covered in the shop manual.

Looks like a great truck, love the plow setup! Where are you located? And welcome to the club!

NC_Mule
07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
In an emergency situation you can always lower that plow. Agree with the others guys buy an manual. Seeing diagrams and reading the sequence of operation will speed up the learning process. Rovers are very simple and easy to work on.

Faulkner34
07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the input and the compliments! I am located in the Quad Cities and purchased the vehicle from a nearby winery owner (the logo on the side is that of the winery). I love the vehicle and am looking forward to getting it to the point where i am comfortable driving it. I have the green manual on order now and hope to receive it in the next couple days. It sounds like that will be instrumental in getting started on the brakes.

artpeck
07-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Nice truck. Brakes are pretty straight forward. First, check the fluid level. If its low top it off. Then tell us if your brakes are soft (pedal goes to the floor) or firm. If soft bleeding is next. Ask and we can help you. If firm then its a drum shoe issue most likely Kensington not enough friction against the drum. Not a lot harder than that. One of the most important things to getting useful help here is as much detail as possible as to what you are experiencing. Back to you

Faulkner34
07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
That is helpful...thank you!

Nice truck. Brakes are pretty straight forward. First, check the fluid level. If its low top it off. Then tell us if your brakes are soft (pedal goes to the floor) or firm. If soft bleeding is next. Ask and we can help you. If firm then its a drum shoe issue most likely Kensington not enough friction against the drum. Not a lot harder than that. One of the most important things to getting useful help here is as much detail as possible as to what you are experiencing. Back to you