X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enigma
    Low Range
    • Oct 2006

Ditch the Ammeter

I converted to an alternator years ago on a Ser 11. I had an electrical problem last weekend and pulled the dash. One of the wires connected to the ammeter was burned at the mounting post. It is a 30-0-30 meter but I understand that I don't need it as I have added a voltmeter.

Question is- Do I cut the ammeter wires and join and solder them? or
    2. Cut back the burned wire, add a connector and bolt and tape the 2 leads together?

Thanks John
  • pitchrollyaw
    Low Range
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Enigma
    I converted to an alternator years ago on a Ser 11. I had an electrical problem last weekend and pulled the dash. One of the wires connected to the ammeter was burned at the mounting post. It is a 30-0-30 meter but I understand that I don't need it as I have added a voltmeter.

Question is- Do I cut the ammeter wires and join and solder them? or
    2. Cut back the burned wire, add a connector and bolt and tape the 2 leads together?

Thanks John
    Did yours have an ammeter as standard? If not, I would chase the wiring back to where the ammeter circuit was added and remove it, that is what I did for my SIII. Otherwise, I vote for cut/join/good crimp or solder/shrink tube.
    '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
    '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

Comment

• Enigma
      Low Range
      • Oct 2006

It is the original satadard ammeter in the cluster with the fuel guage on the left side of the centre console.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Solder and heat shrink. Call it a day.
        Jason
        "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

Working...