PDA

View Full Version : Ditch the Ammeter

Enigma
07-30-2013, 10:55 AM
I converted to an alternator years ago on a Ser 11. I had an electrical problem last weekend and pulled the dash. One of the wires connected to the ammeter was burned at the mounting post. It is a 30-0-30 meter but I understand that I don't need it as I have added a voltmeter.

Question is- Do I cut the ammeter wires and join and solder them? or
2. Cut back the burned wire, add a connector and bolt and tape the 2 leads together?

Thanks John

pitchrollyaw
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I converted to an alternator years ago on a Ser 11. I had an electrical problem last weekend and pulled the dash. One of the wires connected to the ammeter was burned at the mounting post. It is a 30-0-30 meter but I understand that I don't need it as I have added a voltmeter.

Question is- Do I cut the ammeter wires and join and solder them? or
2. Cut back the burned wire, add a connector and bolt and tape the 2 leads together?

Thanks John

Did yours have an ammeter as standard? If not, I would chase the wiring back to where the ammeter circuit was added and remove it, that is what I did for my SIII. Otherwise, I vote for cut/join/good crimp or solder/shrink tube.

Enigma
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
It is the original satadard ammeter in the cluster with the fuel guage on the left side of the centre console.

I Leak Oil
07-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Solder and heat shrink. Call it a day.