PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice buying a 1969 IIA 88

meboosta
08-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys on here before I close the deal on a IIA that has been sitting for 4 years..

I'm not completely new to projects as I restored my old Honda bike and went through a frame swap on my Jeep YJ, but I am new to LR in general. The Series IIA seems to have nothing in common with my old wrangler, one of the most noticeable in my eyes is the a availability of parts...

I read the handy articles that some of you posted on here with tips for buying a series rover. But I was hoping you guys could chime in my case..

Here are a few pics..

As you could see it does need frame work but the rig does run and drive despite sitting for 4 years.. Im not too sure if I want to get into another frame swap, I had to replace a lot of parts on my YJ as I swapped the frame, I am little afraid that It will be impossible to find such parts for this rig..

It has 79k miles showing on the odometer, I can take it home for $1000. What do you guys think, it is worth it? My main concern is finding parts..

Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Contractor
08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Finding original parts might be tough, finding aftermarket parts is a little easier.

Anyway, that truck looks rough.......really rough. The Frame looks like toast, or at least those cross members and outriggers look shot. Can you tell what the bulkhead looks like?

If $1000 is all you have (initial money) and you are dying to get into a Series maybe, but you are going to have one hell of a project.

meboosta
08-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Finding original parts might be tough, finding aftermarket parts is a little easier.

Anyway, that truck looks rough.......really rough. The Frame looks like toast, or at least those cross members and outriggers look shot. Can you tell what the bulkhead looks like?

If $1000 is all you have (initial money) and you are dying to get into a Series maybe, but you are going to have one hell of a project.

Dint get a change to take a look at that, I will be making a trip to the lot where it sits to peep the swivels as well.

Im not going to lie but I've always read up on the old landy's and always wanted one, but either couldn't find one or was too busy with my studies to get into such project.. Now that I found one i don't want to run into a full restoration project, even though it might be the only real option for this rover..

I hate half ass work but I was wondering if patching and replacing sections of the frame could do the trick for now until I graduate College.. Im already considering a galvanized frame and disc conversion a year or so from now.

mearstrae
08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
OK, my 2cents... Walk away, $1000 for a shakey pile of parts. Save up as much as you can for a good, running, Series. A fixer-upper will; 1. Never get done (and lose you lots of money and time) -or- 2. Cost you more in time and money than if you bought a good one.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

meboosta
08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
OK, my 2cents... Walk away, $1000 for a shakey pile of parts. Save up as much as you can for a good, running, Series. A fixer-upper will; 1. Never get done (and lose you lots of money and time) -or- 2. Cost you more in time and money than if you bought a good one.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

Thanks for the advice, it is what I'm close to doing. As much as I want it, I'm starting to convince myself that it isn't worth it.. Maybe if I can talk the guy down to $400 or so, it has an overdrive and all. Maybe I'll throw the money into a Richards galvanized frame.

westcoastkevin
08-06-2013, 11:25 AM
You need probably $7-8k by the time you are done with that one..

stomper
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
At $1000, it is a parts truck, and nothing more. there are certainly $1000 worth of parts there, as a working overdrive is worth around $700, and an engine is around $300, and then you have the axles, dash gauges etc.

It is salvageable, but not without a lot of work on your part, and since you say you don't want to get into a frame swap, this is likely not the truck for you. Take your $5-7,000, and find a good running truck that is already registered, but needs work. They are out there, and near you as well. Check in the classifieds on craigslist, here, LRX, etc. and be patient. it took me 6 years to find what I wanted, and not want to sell it while trying to get it roadworthy.

o2batsea
08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd offer 800 cash. Buy it not as a resto candidate but as a parts resource. Keep looking for your "prince", as this one is a frog.

meboosta
08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd offer 800 cash. Buy it not as a resto candidate but as a parts resource. Keep looking for your "prince", as this one is a frog.

I was thinking about patching it around and use it as a yard truck until I could get a hold of a rig with less miles.
Are any of you guys using these to plow snow?
We have a 150ft driveway, If I could use it to clear it up after storms it might come in handy. We have to get a new snowblower for this winter anyway..

NC_Mule
08-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Not sure that frame could handle a plow.
If you buy it I'm interested in purchasing the hoop set from you.
pb

I was thinking about patching it around and use it as a yard truck until I could get a hold of a rig with less miles.
Are any of you guys using these to plow snow?
We have a 150ft driveway, If I could use it to clear it up after storms it might come in handy. We have to get a new snowblower for this winter anyway..

ArlowCT
08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Both my cousin and I have plow set ups on our 88"s. I had a manual angle 6' plow that I raised and lowered with my winch. It worked great and was fairly light in the front end. Your shoulders get a workout if you have to turn a lot but in a straight line they work great as plow trucks!

meboosta
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Not sure that frame could handle a plow.
If you buy it I'm interested in purchasing the hoop set from you.
pb

Honestly, I probably won't even buy it if I have to part it out.

meboosta
08-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Both my cousin and I have plow set ups on our 88"s. I had a manual angle 6' plow that I raised and lowered with my winch. It worked great and was fairly light in the front end. Your shoulders get a workout if you have to turn a lot but in a straight line they work great as plow trucks!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking, I've seen those smaller 6' plows on wranglers. Was thinking about having a friend fab a detachable mount for my series.

ArlowCT
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Mine was a old farm plow. I made the mount so it hung on my tow hooks and braced back to my winch mount. Perfect for my driveway but I wouldn't want to do more than that with it.

NC_Mule
08-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Honestly, I probably won't even buy it if I have to part it out.

I was just thinking part out what you don't need. You mentioned making it a "yard truck" so that overdrive will be useless. Doubt you're going to spring $600 for a new canvas top on a yard truck so the hoop set is not needed. If you get the truck for 800 I bet you can make your money back or more by selling those two items. Then you have a free yard truck.
Just a thought, I understand if you don't want to mess with finding buyers and selling stuff. No idea where you live and what Series owners are close by.
pb

ignotus
08-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree with most of the others. Walk away. I am not sure even just patching the existing holes would keep it OK for a plow. The frames rust out from the inside so who knows what the rest of it is like. But if you get it, keep all the bits don't sell anything until you have it awhile and decide what configuration YOU want it in. It will only be more costly in the future to replace overdrives and hoop sets.

HTH
gene

czenkov
08-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Did I miss where this truck is located? The OD and softtop hardware are worth more than $800. There is a frame for $500 in Idaho...just sayin'.

meboosta
08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Did I miss where this truck is located? The OD and softtop hardware are worth more than $800. There is a frame for $500 in Idaho...just sayin'.

Im in MA, I found a frame 35 mins away for $500.. I can see myself swapping the rig over to a solid frame on Por15 during my spring break next year..

REDrum
08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
IMO Series land rovers come in 3 different price levels:

1) Runs ok and has rust for $5K (then you put $10K+ into it over 5 years to make it run great)
2) Runs great and has no rust for $15K (owner has to sell because he spent past 5 years putting all spare time and money into it and wife is about to file for divorce)
3) Restored like like it was Hudson River Valley school landscape painting for $40K (owner is selling to move on to restoring 3 wheeled Morgans)

Caveat Emptor

ArlowCT
08-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Where is it? I call it if you don't want it. Please PM me if you decide to pass on it!

Les Parker
08-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Or buy it and throw it on on an auction site and see what happens. Don't think that will end up being crushed at the docks for being unsafe !