PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft identification - does my diesel 2.25 have the right one?

jsgrear
08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
The crankshaft in my 2.25 diesel is stamped "R2254B." Since I appear to have a petrol block (#314.....F), I want to make sure this cranshaft isn't one of the petrol crankshafts that are prone to the breakage problems I have heard about with petrol-dielsel conversions. Does anyone recognize this number? There is no "P" on the crankshaft. Does this mean it is a diesel crankshaft? Jason

SafeAirOne
08-09-2013, 01:48 AM
I've no idea about casting numbers, but p/n 527167 is the 3MB diesel crank an p/n ERC5014 is the 5MB diesel crank on the 2.25 diesels.

Good Luck.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it until (if ever) it fails.

Remember, every drive's an adventure in a Series Rover.

antichrist
08-09-2013, 07:13 AM
It's also possible someone replaced a bad diesel block with a petrol block since they are the same.

ignotus
08-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Jason,

Only the petrol crankshafts have a "P" on them, the diesels are unmarked. You should be OK. As said above^^^^the blocks are interchangeable.
Welcome to the forum, fill out your location and maybe someone is close by who can help.

gene

jsgrear
08-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the encouragement. I will proceed without fretting, but I guess it would still be nice to know that if it doesn't have a "P," it is not a petrol crankshaft. This, of course, is different from saying that only petrol crankshafts have the "P." I am now moving on to the electrical system. The engine starts when I jump the solenoid adjactent to the starter, but the guages, lights, etc were all disconnected for interior restoration by previous owner. Looks like the old petrol starter solenoid was left in place, so I can't tell where the juice is coming from for the panel. Any tips on how the petrol-diesel electrical conversions were typically done would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I'll add my location to my profile. I'm in Rhode Island and I'm pretty sure there are some diesel landy enthusiasts around.
Jason

ignotus
08-11-2013, 01:42 PM
If you do not have a workshop manual get one, and a parts catalogue. You can check here; http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php/topic,58789.0.html for some good printable wiring diagrams. If some PO has done changes who knows how they did it. I once had a 109 and the PO had rewired the dash with all red wire..........

HTH,
gene