PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Instructions?

rbbailey
08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I bought the WIPAC headlights bowls for the IIa and cant figure how they go together.

they dont come with a diagram they have some parts the originals dont have and some parts are missing. Even using the right screws in the right holes is problematic here.

Can someone provide a link to instructions? The small picture in the RN web site does not show what screws go where, nor does it show the sequence of steps to putting it together

rbbailey
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Also, the screws are not long enough to actually fix the bowl to the body of the vehicle. The head of the screws are also too big to fit the bowl -- they overlap the ridge around the edge so that they will not tighten down.

o2batsea
08-12-2013, 06:59 AM
There should have been a small packet of hardware included. The bowls have a rubber gasket that goes between the bowl and the body panel. You should have ordered new ones if you haven't. Use new fasteners for the bucket. I used #10-32 stainless machine screws with nylock nuts to affix the bowls to the panel. There should be three holes that go clear thru the gasket and the bowl that line up with the ones on the truck.
If I recall I thought it was a little weird cz the grommet hole was on top of the bucket, so if that helps orient things, that's the way they go.
There are two black screws with a funny looking flange on the heads. These go at the 9 and 12 o clock position (or is it 12 and 3, I forget...) these will hold the headlight ring and give adjustment. The slots on the headlight ring go in the little groove. There are long recesses that these thread into.
You will use the little clips from the hardware kit to attach the headlight ring to the lamp. I think it only goes together one way. Don't over tighten the clips and bend them or the headlight will come loose. So fit the plug on the lamp, slip the slots onto the adjusting post and finish off with the third fixing screw. Now you adjust the aim, then fit the bezel. The bezel slots in to the divot on the top of the plastic bucket and you run a #6 phillips oval head thru the hole in the bottom of the bezel into the hole provided on the bucket. Took me a couple tries to get it lined up.
That's the best description I can give without pictures, so I hope that helps.

rbbailey
08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Most of what you said I did get figured out, thanks.

I ended up using the inside ring from the old buckets. I had to use a few screws of my own because the others just wouldn't work. The lights are in, but I only used about 50% of the kit to get them in. In the end, the final rings would not really fit the new buckets, so I had to drill and cut and use screws in places they were not meant to go.

The spring has no way of attaching to new buckets, so the lights hang flapping in the wind because the ring that comes with them that is supposed to take the place of the springs, does not actually fit over the light. There is a 1/2 inch gap.