PDA

View Full Version : 95 LWB Power Steering Fluid Leak

bopes
06-08-2007, 11:35 AM
It has been hemmoraging ATF for quite a while. When it gets low you can hear the pump grinding away. What is the most likely source of the leak, and how do I tell?

Thanks.

TSR53
06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Best advice is to clean the complete area soaked in ATF with Castrol Super Clean (or similar bio-degradable cleaner) and rinse with water, then watch where the leak is coming from. Don't let the pump run dry! Fill it up asap. All ATF PS systems need to be ultra clean and once contaminated, can start leaking again soon.

bopes
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. So is a leak just a leak, or does it mean bad pump, or does it depend where the leak is?

Mungrol
06-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Mate,

I think what he is saying is that you need to clean the area so that you can find the leak and then repair the leak. He is also saying that when you do repair the leak, ensure the system is super clean to assist in preventing further leaks.
I repaired my classic several years back. Took the hoses to a hose and tube shop. They made new ones for me at a fraction of the cost of stealership prices.... and they were still leak free when I sold the thing three years later.

Cheers,

Curly

PaulBarrow
07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
It is now July 2008 and I am trying to find out more about Power Steering pump leaks. I have an 89 RRC that has decided to start to leak just back from a 2500 mile trip - so I have time to get to it now.

Are leaks typically hoses or do they tend to be pump seal related? If the latter are pumps and seals repairable or are they toast once they leak please?

Thanks

Paul

57loboy
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
They leak from the hoses most often - the fittings, etc. That said, my '95 had a leak from where one of the factory zip-ties wore a hole in the rubber line over 12 years of use. Replaces that line, eliminated that zip tie and everything is remarkably drip free for a Rover now...