PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 24 spline half shafts, what drive hub?

ArlowCT
08-14-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading to the HD 24 spline halfshafts for the rear of my truck. What drive flange do you use?

Thanks!

o2batsea
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
I think you just use the stock ones. Shafts tend to bust at the diff end, not the outer end.

I Leak Oil
08-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Perhaps the stock 24 sp. rover part? Not sure but you should probably ask who ever you're buying the shafts from.

SafeAirOne
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Perhaps the stock 24 sp. rover part? Not sure but you should probably ask who ever you're buying the shafts from.

Yup.

My '73 109 (w/Salisbury) has 10 spline inners and 24 spilne outers both front and back and use off-the-shelf 24 spline driven members on the hubs.

ArlowCT
08-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Yup.

My '73 109 (w/Salisbury) has 10 spline inners and 24 spilne outers both front and back and use off-the-shelf 24 spline driven members on the hubs.

For some reason I was thinking the Salisbury was 23 spline but that may be the 101 salisburys? Not sure! Forgot to ask about the drive flanges and was hoping someone here would have the quick answer. I know my stock ones are 10 spline and the stock defender 24 spline only have five mounting bolts not six like the series.

SafeAirOne
08-14-2013, 08:18 PM
I know my stock ones are 10 spline and the stock defender 24 spline only have five mounting bolts not six like the series.

The Salisbury 24 splines use 6-bolt drive flanges and fit both the rear Salisbury hubs and the front Rover-type hubs. I've had to swap a good front out with a worn-out rear to get me home on more than one occasion:

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLC469&type=0

ArlowCT
08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you very much for the info and link! Just makes me think, what was it that is 23 spline.....

SafeAirOne
08-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you very much for the info and link! Just makes me think, what was it that is 23 spline.....

Toyota?

Dana 60/70?

I Leak Oil
08-15-2013, 05:06 AM
I think coilers have some odd 23 spline thing going on on the front axles, perhaps in the CV joint. I know, shocking right?!

LR Max
08-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Stock drive flanges. But procure spares as they do strip out from time to time. I tore apart an entire rear axle before I figured out it was the drive flange.

ArlowCT
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Stock drive flanges. But procure spares as they do strip out from time to time. I tore apart an entire rear axle before I figured out it was the drive flange.

What were you doing when the flange let go? What engine, tire size are you running?

If its anything like when I brake something you were shifting into second pulling away from a stop sign! So far I have broken very little off road but a lot has let go on road!

TeriAnn
08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Yup.

Geezzz guys! Sometimes I wonder

Your SIII 109 has a front axle assembly that has a 24 spline outer axle and a 10 spline inner axle. Your rear Salisbury is 24 spline at both ends. This gives you the same 24 spline drive flanges all the way around.

The factory 24 spline drive flanges are out of a relatively soft steel. When the wear there is enough of a spline gap that you hear a very audible clunk when you come to a stop. This is long before the flange wears to the point where it might break. This is often referred to as the Salisbury clunk and is your signal that it is time to replace drive flanges.

There is a hard steel 24 spline drive flange available aftermarket. They are shaped a little differently than the stock one, have a different finish and a screw on dust cap.

SafeAirOne
08-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Your rear Salisbury is 24 spline at both ends.

That's what I would have thought too. Not mine. 10 inner, 24 outer. At least they were the last 2 times I had them out, but now you've bumped my confidence level on this down to 95% so I've got to swing out and pull an axle shaft just to re-verify this.

TeriAnn
08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
That's what I would have thought too. Not mine. 10 inner, 24 outer. At least they were the last 2 times I had them out, but now you've bumped my confidence level on this down to 95% so I've got to swing out and pull an axle shaft just to re-verify this.

I've never heard of a Salisbury with a 10 spline end. Nor have I seen one in a catalogue, including a LR parts catalogue. There is a version of the Rover front axle assembly that has a 24 spline outer shaft and a 10 spline inner shaft. This was so they could have 24 spline drive flanges all around. It may have happened but I have yet to meet anyone who as broken the short outer shaft of a front axle unless it was part of a U joint or stub axle failure.

6 bolts, some flange surface cleaning, a little RTV and you can check your rears in just a few minutes. 28 lb ft torque then you replace the fixing bolts.

ArlowCT
08-16-2013, 02:54 PM
TeriAnn: I thought I had seen some heavy duty flanges but that pic shows 5 mounting holes. The series have six. Is this just a case of the wrong picture for the part? Thanks for the info.

(Update). Just talked to RN and they confirmed PLH009 is for the newer axles with five bolt drive flanges. I'm having a hard time coming up with a source for the six bolt ones.

I Leak Oil
08-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I was looking for a set a couple years ago and couldn't find any in stock anywhere. On the other hand, I've had my salisbury in my 88" for 10 years now and haven't had an issue with the stock flanges. I did buy a new set for spares 4 or so years ago. For the price of the hardened ones I can replace the stock ones several times over. Would probably never make the money back in my lifetime. It's all irrelavent if you can't buy them though.

antichrist
08-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Just to throw this out there, my 1/2 Ton has 10 inner and 24 outer both front and rear.

SafeAirOne
08-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Just to throw this out there, my 1/2 Ton has 10 inner and 24 outer both front and rear.

Yeah, I don't think I'm losing my mind, but I just haven't wanted to get my hands dirty to verify my sanity yet.

antichrist
08-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I don't think I'm losing my mind, but I just haven't wanted to get my hands dirty to verify my sanity yet.Is that a round about way of saying you have a dirty mind?

SafeAirOne
08-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Your SIII 109 has a front axle assembly that has a 24 spline outer axle and a 10 spline inner axle. Your rear Salisbury is 24 spline at both ends.

Well, I took 5 minutes this morning to verify that I have 10 spline inners and 24 spline outers on my Salisbury, just like I insisted and...ummm...ahh..well...I guess I AM going insane after all. TeriAnn is 100% correct-24 spline on both ends, just like it should be.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Funny, I don't remember bumping my head hard enough to cause permanent damage...

Is that a round about way of saying you have a dirty mind?

Nope--Good news is that I don't have a dirty mind, just a faulty one! ;)

TeriAnn
08-18-2013, 10:24 AM
TeriAnn: I thought I had seen some heavy duty flanges but that pic shows 5 mounting holes. The series have six. Is this just a case of the wrong picture for the part? Thanks for the info.

(Update). Just talked to RN and they confirmed PLH009 is for the newer axles with five bolt drive flanges. I'm having a hard time coming up with a source for the six bolt ones.

Sorry I didn't count the mounting holes in the picture ... oops.

I got my hardened drive flanges from Great Basin Rovers.

TeriAnn
08-18-2013, 10:38 AM

1/2 ton? That would be what an 88? What model what year and what diff? I don't know of any civilian models that the factory called a 1/2 ton as a model name. You have me curious.

antichrist
08-18-2013, 04:07 PM
1/2 ton? That would be what an 88? What model what year and what diff? I don't know of any civilian models that the factory called a 1/2 ton as a model name. You have me curious.LOL, nothing rare. Known to us civilians as a Lightweight. Known to the MoD as the 1/2 Ton Air Portable.