PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out in steady stream

BobJones
08-16-2013, 02:08 PM
OK so I just finished adjusting my timing when I noticed a puddle under the truck. I get under there and find a steady stream of oil coming from the flywheel drain. It only leaks when the engine is running. This feels like a big fix! Is this a main seal problem? I'm lost with engine issues.
Thanks for any input.

ArlowCT
08-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Did you have the valve cover off? There is a oil pipe that feeds the rockers on the back of the block to the head. Any chance you bumped it and it cracked?

bugeye88
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Adjusting the timing..... Could be that if you had the distributor hold down clamp nut loose to move the distributor to adjust the timing, the dizzy could have moved up a bit and the seal on the distributor shaft is not fully making contact, allowing oil to get past and onto your floor. Just a thought.
Rob

BobJones
08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
thanks for the ideas , I have checked all with no luck. I did not have the valve cover off this time, but have had it off a couple of months ago. No driving since then. It is definatly coming from the small drain at the bottom front of the flywheel housing.

I Leak Oil
08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Rear main seal. Time to tear in to it!