PDA

View Full Version : Disco axles

Tsmith
08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I retained the axles, diffs, brakes, springs and control arms from my '96 Disco when it was parted out. I planned to build a Series coil sprung truck, but things have changed. It now seems easier to attach leaf spring perches to these axles and use them for a leaf-sprung, disc braked series truck. Has anyone done this before?

o2batsea
08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
A bazillion times.

Considerations:
Disco R&P is 3.54. Disco axles are wider so your tire will stick out past the wings. Disc brakes will require that you change the MC, so a total redo of the braking system must be part of the plan. On a 2A this is quite a huge thing as it means that you will possibly have to either cut the wing or use an S3 wing inner and swap the front panel (unless it is a late 2A with headlights on the wings, or already an S3) in order to fit a booster.

Boston
08-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Easier????

If you aren't coiling it, then sell the axles and get proper series gear if you don't have that handy already.

I Leak Oil
08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
This looks like a relatively straight forward swap as far as fitting the axles. The steering is the toughest part to work out.

Tsmith
08-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I think Boston has the best take on this. Mine is a SII and I'm happy with it as it is. I wonder what the axles are worth? They're in the way.

toga Rover
08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
I am in the middle of adding Disco axles from a '95 to my '73 109 5-door. Very do-able. Re-using the rear disco shocks as well.
PM me and I can share the details. I plan to post everything up when the truck is done.

I bought the axles, diffs, shocks, arms, etc for $500.

I retained the axles, diffs, brakes, springs and control arms from my '96 Disco when it was parted out. I planned to build a Series coil sprung truck, but things have changed. It now seems easier to attach leaf spring perches to these axles and use them for a leaf-sprung, disc braked series truck. Has anyone done this before?

SalemRover
08-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I have seen disco axles under a series. When I was talking to the guy about modifying it for a leaf spring the diff housing fouled the area where one of the u bolts mounted on the front axle. He ended up welding oversized threaded rod to work around it. Not the best solution but something to look at if you are considering changing them to leaf suspension. I believe ashcroft transmissions sells different ring/pinion to get the gearing you want.

o2batsea
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I may be all wet here, but I think you can use the Series diffs in the Disco axle housing.

SalemRover
08-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I may be all wet here, but I think you can use the Series diffs in the Disco axle housing.

I am pretty sure you can. I know the rangie diffs mount to a series axle casing. I shudder to think this, but do these modern rover halfshafts mount into a 10 spline series diff? Really?

I Leak Oil
08-23-2013, 08:31 PM
The disco 3rds are going to have 24 spline side gears. You could use your series 3rd and put in earlier RRC 10 spline shafts. I think you need to change the spindles to do that too. That, in large part defeats the whole purpose though. You end up with 10 spline crappy shafts, crappy ring and pinions and a diff. carrier that may as well be made of rubber. In the end all you would get is disc brakes. For the money and time just buy a disc brake kit and put it on your stock rover axle.......

SalemRover
08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
The disco 3rds are going to have 24 spline side gears. You could use your series 3rd and put in earlier RRC 10 spline shafts. I think you need to change the spindles to do that too. That, in large part defeats the whole purpose though. You end up with 10 spline crappy shafts, crappy ring and pinions and a diff. carrier that may as well be made of rubber. In the end all you would get is disc brakes. For the money and time just buy a disc brake kit and put it on your stock rover axle.......

Grim. Buying that rolling IIB from DAP and grabbing the propshafts and axles is starting to look really appealing. The 4 inch wider track width would cut the 109's turn radius from the state of CT to RI.

I Leak Oil
08-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Feel free to stop by my place along the way if you need a place to stay.

Edit: The guy that is selling the IIB was at AMD a couple years ago and it's been for sale since alteast back then. It would be a VERY cool project but a VERY big one too. Unique for sure.