PDA

View Full Version : What is this (PIC)?

deezgunz
08-19-2013, 05:48 PM
vehicle is a 73 s3 nas 88. pic is of the top of the intake manifold with the carb removed. question:

what is the thingy (some type of switch) mounted next to the carb opening? there were no wires or hoses attached to it when the vehicle came into my possession. thanks for any replies.
http://i41.tinypic.com/155nl0y.jpg

I Leak Oil
08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
100 shot of Nitrous?!

ArlowCT
08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Are there places to hook wire up to it? Is that a tube for a vacuum line? It looks the right size, looking forward to learning more about this!

artpeck
08-19-2013, 10:19 PM
I have the same thing. I have concluded its part of the rudimentary emmisons control system. Mine is a 73 imported in CA which was then (and now) enforcing tighter emissions standards. There is a lot of stuff on mine that doesn't show up in the green bible so I have assumed it was an EC overlay. Let us know if you learn more.

Revtor
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
i believe its part of the S3 emissions setup, where on decel, a vacuum pot opens the carb butterfly a bit. Although I'm not sure if there was any electrical switch involved. There is a section on it in the chilton repair book.

TeriAnn
08-19-2013, 11:06 PM
It is called a dashpot. I understand that it started showing up on some vehicles around 1966 as part of a SMOG system. When you let off the gas rapidly the linkage reaches the dashpot near the end of the return just before the butterfly closes slowing the closure. Dashpots are normally a fluid filled barrel & piston arrangement.

They were to reduce a spike in emissions from sudden deceleration. I guess LRs sold in California had them for a period. If the State of California decided to have visual inspections of 1970's emissions equipment that dashpot might suddenly become valuable.

deezgunz
08-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The emissions control system is spot on. There was a canister/filter and a series of hoses that I removed from the engine bay that was also part of the system. The nitrous shot would have been nice tho!....