PDA

View Full Version : Wiper motors

Alk-3
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Hey guys. Does anyone know where I can get my wiper motors rebuilt, or if there is a rebuild kit out there anywhere? I need both of mine rebuilt.
This is for a 1967 88"

stomper
08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Just rebuild them yourself. Here is a thread to follow with some information on how to get started.

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?800-Single-Individual-Wiper-Motors&highlight=single+wiper+motor

Alk-3
08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
That thread doesn't actually say anything helpful at all. Was that the thread you meant to link to?
All it says is what type of grease he used..

siii8873
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
There is a link somewhere on this. It is really quite simple, usually the problem is the 50 year old greas in the gear side gunking them up. Carefully take it apart noting where the parts go, glean out all the old grease and reassemble. Of course check the brushes also. Be Careful of the little circlip on the shaft, remove it in a plastic bag, those suckers can fly. Ask me how I know. I was doing one of these, I removed this clip and heard / felt it rickochet off a box on the table. Searched everywhere for it.... got the shop cleand out. I gave up after about an hour of searching and decided to use one from a spare motor. Went to my cup of parts and there it was. It rikocheted right back into my parts cup.

siii8873
08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Try this link;

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?1807-Independent-Wiper-Motor-Instructions-and-Diagram&highlight=wiper+motor

BobJones
08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Alk-3 It is pretty easy, but if your pressed for time call the guys at 3 brothers classic rovers. they are close to you in Cambridge I think. They are great guys and do anything you need.
Hey are you going to British car day in Oakville this year?

P.S. I'll look for pics I took when I did mine...don't hold breath...

stomper
08-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry about that thread, I thought there wAs a link to these links in that thead. Must have linked the wrong one.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.wipermotors.html

www.eviljames.com/LandRover/?p=101

Alk-3
08-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Tanks guys, for all the responses. Ibe had these motors apart a couple of times and each time they get a little better, but they really need to be overhauled. many of the internal parts are worn out and have so much slop that the wipers do not do their job any longer. The grease has all been cleaned out and replaced, so thats not the issue. the issue is they have so much slop in them that they only wipe a small portion of the screen, unless the wind takes them and then i get an intermittent swipe that goes the whole way which is rare!.
Thanks again guys.

I will probably not be going to the british car day this year unfortunately.

I Leak Oil
08-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Not sure if any one really rebuilds them. These were used on various different british vehicles of the time. The range varied on some of them so perhaps you can do some research and find a set from another vehicle that has a range of motion that you'd be more comfortable with. IIRC there is a single part inside that determines the range.

Partsman
08-28-2013, 06:31 PM
There is another possibility, you can look in the ebay of one of the drier countries of the world, Middle east maybe, these Rovers in that part of the world are likely to have wiper motors that have received almost no use at all in their lifetimes.

Escargo
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I read or heard somewhere that MG's and Triumphs used the exact wiper motor. My neighbor does old MGB's, maybe he told me.
Hans