PDA

View Full Version : back fire and dieseling.

BobJones
08-22-2013, 04:27 PM
I am sorry. I generally put in more time to research issues and learn on my own, but I really want to get running and I'm soooo loosing my patience!!!! So here goes. I have adjusted the timing as best I can in order to get power, which is good now. I had her up to 87KPH today comfortably. Good response, transfer case does scream so I'm thinking a rebuild there someday. BUT when I shut her down I get one big back fire and she tries to keep running (dieseling) right? I have installed a master cut off switch so that helps. anyway I have a new weber carb and I do have the spacer installed to avoid dieseling!! what is your guess as to what to do next.

gwmaxhunter
08-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi, land rover has valve timing process that will make a rocket scientist cry...but first id check ignition timing and get it dead nuts accurate but i think your problem is mixture and i think it is way way to rich and start there......if you can take exhaust pipe small piece and cut it length ways so you can push this fresh piece of pipe in the end of your exhaust pipe...... a way to rich mixture will leave a fine coal black ash coating same as a oxy-acetylene torch will when it has no oxygen.....i don't know a spacer plate to prevent dieseling but i do know of plenum risers...... i have a 1 inch plenum riser and this aids in volumetric efficiency giving you a lot better bottom end grunt and breaths better at higher rpm.......PS. i once started my bosses 109 it seemed to be at full throttle with no response i figured linkage, i went key on off on off to keep rpm down as i drove it in the shop..... to my surprise it had no carb and the gas line was stuffed down in the intake but it ran......worst gas mileage ever approximately 3 gallons per minute.