PDA

View Full Version : WHY?!?!?!

amcordo
08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/feds-crush-land-rover-defender-scare-illegal-importers-152348269.html

I Leak Oil
08-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Just another idiot law breaker that's out a few bucks....

Too bad our leaders are not that enthusiastic about doing their job when it comes to armed foreign nationals coming across our borders bringing their contraband.

Perhaps an exhibition is in order that involves crushing a few of them in public....

rickv100
08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
I think there is more to the story. I thought rules were if it failed inspection the user has to reexport it.

Rick

ArlowCT
08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
If you lie about what you are bringing in and they catch you, they have the right to destroy the vehicle and fine you up to 200% if its value (I think that last part is right). Plus I do think you can do some jail time for it! It's just not worth it, there are some great trucks 25 years old and older that you can bring in all day long.

SafeAirOne
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
If you lie about what you are bringing in and they catch you, they have the right to destroy the vehicle and fine you up to 200% if its value

200% of the value of it as a "1978 Series III 109" or 200% of the value of it as a 2010 Defender 110? ;)

LaneRover
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
200% of the value of it as a "1978 Series III 109" or 200% of the value of it as a 2010 Defender 110? ;)

Well . . . I think that they are saying that it ISN'T a 78 series III . . . .

NC_Mule
09-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Too bad our leaders are not that enthusiastic about doing their job when it comes to armed foreign nationals coming across our borders bringing their contraband.

Perhaps an exhibition is in order that involves crushing a few of them in public....[/QUOTE]

I hear you, what a joke. They seem so proud of themselves. Our roads are so much safer.

antichrist
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM
I hear you, what a joke. They seem so proud of themselves. Our roads are so much safer.In the case of this Defender, it's not about safe or not safe. It's about someone knowing the law, doing a VIN swap to try to get around the law, getting caught committing a crime and suffering the consequences.

Oh, and making it more of a headache for honest people who want to bring in a 25+ year old vehicle.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for them. Committing fraud probably isn't the best way to get laws changed.

S11A
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Now that is a good advertisement for the suspension.

NC_Mule
09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
If you watch the whole video the officer says "the vehicle doesn't meet the safety standards of todays roads so it had to be destroyed"
Safety in addition to VIN tampering. I agree with you, fraud is fraud and I don't feel sorry for the ones who got busted. Just seems like we have truly dangerous people and items crossing the border Land Rovers can be addressed once the more serious stuff is stopped.
pb

In the case of this Defender, it's not about safe or not safe. It's about someone knowing the law, doing a VIN swap to try to get around the law, getting caught committing a crime and suffering the consequences.

Oh, and making it more of a headache for honest people who want to bring in a 25+ year old vehicle.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for them. Committing fraud probably isn't the best way to get laws changed.