PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa 2.6L 6cyl Parts Sources?

LRBear
06-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a '68-'69 Series IIa w a 2.6L 6cyl engine. :thumb-up:

Can anyone recommend a complete source for engine parts for this 2.6L 6-cylinder engine?

-Rovers North has some parts for this engine :) , but some are listed as "No Longer Available" (such as Water Pump Gaskets, Inlet Gaskets, etc.)
And they don't carry 2.6L items like Camshafts, Water Pumps, Water Pump Gaskets, etc. They also appear to only offer rebuilt heads and long-block engines for the 4cyl engines, not the 6cyl. :(
-John Craddock appears to have many parts for this engine, but certainly not all. :(
-Paddock doesn't appear to carry any parts for this engine.... :mad:
-Atlantic British has very few parts for the 2.6L.... :mad:

Where is my best source for 2.6L tune-up parts & engine performance upgrade parts?

ALSO, (thinking ahead here) can anyone recommend a US source for having this engine rebuilt? OR for having any other drivetrain components rebuilt?

THANKS!! :cool:

LWB109
06-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Bear,
Best bet is to call Pauls Safari in Niagra Falls,Ontario.
He has a very good collection of 2.6 litre parts and more.
I've dealt with him for years now.
Great guy, knowledgable as well.
905-262-4448
Best of Luck.

fruitpunch
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
68-'69 Series IIa w a 2.6L 6cyl engine. :thumb-up:

:nono::nono::nono: Sorry to curb your excitement about this engine..... the 2.6l 6cyl is considered by far the most undesirable engine LR has ever put into a vehicle.

Hence almost nobody carries any parts for it, some gaskets are the same as the 2.0l 4cyl from the Series One. But basicly you won't find many shops carry too many spares.

Robert Davis in VA must have at least 10 spare engines as he has been converting them for many years now for customers. The design of the head is the problem regardless if 2.6l or 3.0l it just that simple.

singingcamel
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
i have a complete engine out of a 1967 109. i'll sell the complete engine or the parts ,what ever you need.

giorgio
06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Just suppose that you had the only NADA 1968 Series IIA, 109 2.6L Carawagon ever built. VIN # 34300768A. Desirable engine or not, would you not want to keep it as original as possible?

I, too, would be interested in finding sources for parts for this engine. (For future use, as it is running fine now.)

Thanks to any who might have some input.

Giorgio

jp-
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Giorgio,

Do you have such a vehicle? (pics required for proof).

fruitpunch
06-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Again if you contact Robert Davis in VA he must have at least 10 of these, some with low miles.

Richard
06-12-2007, 01:12 AM
I just finished rebuilding a NADA 2.6L engine. Yes, the parts are hard to find, yes, the engine is old and out of date (even when it was new). So, no, it is probably not a good choice for a commuter car, and no, you probably wonīt want to thrash it as a trail rig (not without a trailer to bring it home). On the other hand, if you like owning a car with a bit of character, and you have the patience... and funding, what a great piece of Rover history to own. A unique vehicle among a field of already unique vehicles.

I was lucky, the engine that came with my truck had the head off, and wouldīt turn. I bought a second engine to run in it. After some work. I was able to free up the original motor. I took it apart thinking to use it as spares. It was in such good fundamental shape that I ended up rebuilding it. I think I have close to $2000 in the engine (my local shop did the work). A GM straight six would be WAY cheaper, if that is what you want. It wasnīt for me.

Finding parts in the US is spotty. Only 811 2.6l sold by Rover in this market. In England, though, more parts are available, but still hard to find. Google is your friend. But for just tune up parts the US vendors seem to have most of it covered. Rovers North is my first stop, then down the list. Moss Motors has a huge selection of Lucas parts - all indexed by use on other British Cars.

There is a guy in Olympia Washington that professionally restores Rovers. He is keen on the 2.6l and has a lot of parts for them. Mind you, he does high end restorations, and people that have it pay him a lot of money for his stuff. He has been very helpful to me, but I an not in his league, so I scrounge up everything I can myself. But I donīt fault him for making a living the way he does.

It seems like the 2.6l owners are quite active on the Rover boards (no coindence). If you need help, or a source for something specific, just ask.

-Richard

daveb
06-12-2007, 07:54 AM
for just tune up parts the US vendors seem to have most of it covered.

Does that include lower end bearings? :)

There is a guy in Olympia Washington that professionally restores Rovers.

Charles Kellog is well known in the LR community. He certainly does talk up his work quite a bit.

LRBear
06-12-2007, 10:33 AM
THANKS Everyone for the responses!!:thumb-up:

I just imported this one in from the UK. Runs Great (right now), but I wanted to be ready for when it needs repairs.

As far as the 2.6 being desirable or undesirable, I think it simply depends upon who you ask (as can be seen by the responses above). While it will never be considered a high-performance motor, at least it is different than most of the other LRs, AND it is original.:)

I also own several Austin-Healeys (mostly Sprites) and while I love driving my '65 Sprite Vintage Racer w the 140+ HP JSR racing motor, or my highly modified '59 Bugeye w the 250+ HP Bridgeported 13B Mazda Rotary, it is always my bone stock (& 100% original) '60 Bugeye that attracts the most attention & affection.:cool:

With that in mind I'm planning on keeping my LR 2.6 for some time to come. At least until I decide to swap it w something REALLY impressive, like maybe one of the newer LR Supercharged engines!:D

Again, THANKS!! :cheers:

-Bear-
catia_bear@yahoo.com

singingcamel
06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Just suppose that you had the only NADA 1968 Series IIA, 109 2.6L Carawagon ever built. VIN # 34300768A. Desirable engine or not, would you not want to keep it as original as possible?

I, too, would be interested in finding sources for parts for this engine. (For future use, as it is running fine now.)

Thanks to any who might have some input.

Giorgio

i have a complete engine available as well as a few misc parts,fuel pumps vaccum booster? marc

giorgio
06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
jp-

Yes I do own said vehicle. Much of the Carawagon camping gear has been removed by the previous owners. I still have the plumbing for the propane gas cylinders, the tracks for the curtains, and a few pieces of wood, and Carawagon and Searle "emblems" on the back. It never had the raising roof. I believe that it was the "Continental" model. I have heard that they were all made to order for the purchaser.

I haven"t quite mastered the photo posting routine on this board.

giorgio
06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
LRBear

If you imported your Land Rover from England, then I guess that perhaps it does not have he Weslake Head that they put on the NADA 2.6L engines.

Is that correct? It may make it easier for you to find parts, or not, I do not know.

giorgio
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
LRBear
View of the other side of the engine

LRBear
06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Here's my engine...
(old pic; engine bay looks a tad bit cleaner today...) :rolleyes:

Looks the same from the RHS (looking aft), but that air cleaner in your pics and the casting behind it looks quite different...

So I'm not sure.... :confused:

Are there any identifying marks or numbers I should look for??

:cheers:

-Bear-

LRBear
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Here's another pic of the car...

-Bear-

LRBear
06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
& just one more of the rear...

It has a few minor dings and dents here and there, but overall it is pretty solid.... :thumb-up:

-Bear-

fruitpunch
06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Bear the Euro 6 cylinder is much more common then the NADA 6, as it indeed used the Westlake (spelling ?) head. Parts availibilty for the Euro 6 is much easier then the NADA 6, again you might want to touch base with Robert http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZrdavisinva for a few spare engines, he might even have a NADA spare if someone is looking. Reminds me that a Rover Salon had the same engine as the NADA 6 except it had 3.0l of displacement. Same pre-WWII engine design. Anyways the Euro 6 is pretty common in Europe some countries like Germany, Switzerland they sold almost 90% of the 109's with the 6 from about 1969 till 1978. The 175 Zenith Stromberg carb is common on other engines and getting them rebuilt isn't difficult. Adjusting the valve clearence is the key and most fun operation on this truck.

giorgio
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Here is a blurb on Harry Weslake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weslake

As a result of having this head, I am actually supposed to, (and do) burn premium gasoline in my Land Rover.

It is a nice, smooth running, antique engine, and it does have a lot of torque. I am not using it for rigorous off roading, but it does climb the hills in the Ozark Mountains quite well.

The Land Rover is in fairly good original condition. Also a few nicks and dings, but much better than my Series III 88

Dav1550
06-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Are there any identifying marks or numbers I should look for??

-Bear-
The engine serial No# is located just forward of the # 1 exhaust port next to the 1" freeze plug. The Suffix letter at the end of the serial no# can be of help when looking for parts.

This is a suffix "C" Euro 2.6 that I rebuilt, pistons, sleeves, valves, bearing, balanced etc, ect, $ $ $.. For the motor it took the better part of a year to gather up the more obscure parts have the machine work done then re-assemble. But it's one sweet running 6 cyl that will relatively run with traffic and is correct for the vehicle.
Our host here supplied the majority of the parts needed in the restoration and continue to do so in maintaining routine up keep..... Though admittedly some parts for the 6 cyl are of short supply or NLA and will take a bit of effort to seek out or fabricated.

Dave
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/100_0760.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/100_0933.jpg

TSR53
06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Nice Land Rover! Excellent job on the restoration :thumb-up:.

giorgio
06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I will second that! Nice job, maybe mine will look half that good some day.

Giorgio

jp-
06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah! Pics

LRBear
06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
WOW Dave!!

:thumb-up: SUPER NICE Looking L-R And Spotless Engine & Bay!! :thumb-up:

Wanna Trade?!? :D

Are you sure this isn't just a picture out of a vintage Land Rover Sales Brochure?!? ;)

Thanks for the inspiration! I don't think my L-R will look like this for a very long time, as most of my asthetic efforts go towards maintaining my fleet of Austin-Healeys (4 Sprites: a Classic Bug-Eye, a Vintage Racer, & a Solo2 Racer, & a Rotary Monster). http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/BugEyeBearsSPRITES
This L-R of mine will probably just get cleaned-up, tuned-up, lubed-up, and have liberal quantities of Rustoleum applied at all of the usual nasty spots to keep the "metal-termites" at bay...

I am gonna save a copy of your pics for future reference AND inspiration!!

(Knowing myself as I do, I'll probably "upgrade" to a nicer L-R as time goes by.... So keep me in mind if you ever get tired of your's!!) ;)

:rolleyes: "Gosh! I REALLY need to get a bigger garage!!" :rolleyes:

:thumb-up: :thumb-up: THANKS EVERYONE for all of the useful info!! MUCH APPRECIATED!! :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

L8R!!

-Bear-

LRBear
06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
FYI: Here's some additional helpful responses I got over at the Series2Club forum:

http://nhua.co.uk/smf_1-0-5/index.php?topic=13312.0

Cheers!!
-Bear-