PDA

View Full Version : Won't go into two wheel drive

Cevan
08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
My Rover (1967 IIA) sat in a barn for 25 years so I'm not sure if things got gummed up. I can get four wheel high and low. When in I pull the red lever back into four wheel low, the yellow one pops up. But from here I can't push the red lever forward into neutral let alone the high position. If I push the yellow knob down, I can push the red lever forward into neutral and high.

The floors and the tunnel covers are not installed so I have access to the area where the yellow knob assembly enters the tranny. I do have a temporary spring on the yellown knob. AnyAny thoughts? I'm so close to getting this thing on the road.

I Leak Oil
08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Perhaps because the tunnel isn't installed the temporary setup you have isn't allowing the pin on the other end of the yellow knob linkage to move enough or maybe too much? Slap the tunnel back in if possible and try it again.

SafeAirOne
08-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Even if the yellow lever doesn't pop up, the red lever should fully cycle through low gear and back (just had to verify this to be sure).

ArlowCT
08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Pull up and hold up (not too hard, just hard enough) on the yellow knob as you shift into and out of 4 low. Hope this helps.

Cevan
08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Pull up and hold up (not too hard, just hard enough) on the yellow knob as you shift into and out of 4 low. Hope this helps.

I've tried this with varying levels of upward pressure on the yellow knob. Once in four wheel low and the yellow knob pops up, the rev knob will not go forward, unless I press the yellow knob down again.

ArlowCT
08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Have you tried rocking the trans back and forth? Put it in neutral and rock the truck back and forth a few inches, it may help the gears mesh.

LR Max
08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Do you feel like your red knob is going too far into the bulkhead?

artpeck
08-30-2013, 11:56 AM
If it sat that long and no fluids being changed the odds of it being gummed up are close to 100%. What have you done in terms of fluid change? And assuming you drained and filled the transmission has it sat for while with new fluids?

LaneRover
08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
The floors and the tunnel covers are not installed so I have access to the area where the yellow knob assembly enters the tranny. I do have a temporary spring on the yellown knob. AnyAny thoughts? I'm so close to getting this thing on the road.

Any chance that with the floors and tunnels out the temporary spring is just plain getting in the way? Try taking off the temporary spring but keeping the yellow knob up with a bungie or string and then try it.

Cevan
08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I replaced the trans and transfer case fluid. I've tried it with the spring and manually pulling up on the yellow knob.

Cevan
08-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Quick update: I got the dust cover separated from the transfer box. Unfortunately the clutch slave cylinder bracket is in the way and preventing removal of the cover. However, I can see about one inch of the selector shafts. As Mark said, the four wheel drive selector shaft is in the forward (4WD) position. On the underside of this shaft is some corrosion. The top and sides look fine. I'm guessing this is preventing it from springing back. I hit it with some PB Blaster and tapped it with a brass drift. Nothing. I'm going to let it sit overnight and see what the PB Blaster does.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'm taking the clutch slave bracket out. I took the top access cover off and I can see the other end of the four wheel drive selector shaft. With the dust cover off, I'm thinking I could tap it back and forth and hopefully dislodge it.

Btw, I registered it today to it's sort of legal to drive on the road (no fenders, hood or bumper).

Cevan
08-31-2013, 06:26 PM
I ended up taking the slave cylinder bracket off because I wanted to clearance it from the bulkhead. It was practically touching the bulkhead and I figure the engine is going to move a little bit so better safe than sorry.

Pulled the dust cover off and hit the end of the shaft with strips of sandpaper up to 2000 grit to get rid of the corrosion. It was pretty minor. Put the pin back in the gently tapped the shaft back while pushing the red knob forward and . . . success!!! Buttoned everything back up and took it around my cal de sac a few times. I had registered it yesterday and figured I'd be ok taking it up the street with no wings, hood, or windshield. Got it 3rd and 4th gear for the first time, up to 40 mph. Now I'm motivated to get this thing finished.