PDA

View Full Version : What LR should I buy ?

bradiia
09-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey everyone ! This seems like the rite place to be asking questions so her it goes.

Im trying to figure out what RR I should buy, a RRC or RR Series 3.

I have been doing allot of research on these vehicles as I am considering one to be my car in Costa Rica. Costa Rica is my second home, I reside here in NYC and spend a few months a year there as my wife is from there and we have some land there also.

I began looking around for and in-expensive off road car and have come up with the Series iii. Most of the roads I will be driving on will be dirt, a few rivers to cross and in rainy season, the dirt turns to bumpy muddy roads that are almost un-usable. Also, I have spent a good portion of my life working on and riding Norton Commandos, so I have a little understanding of British mechanics or should I say the lack of reliability. Also, with both the series iii and RRC, I have literally found hundreds in CR, so the price point is very low.

Now, I am also considering and early model 2DR Range Rover Classic 1981. I realizes parts are scarce. But I am concerned that the Series iii might not be the best car for long road trips and when in comes to getting the family in the back I worry about the seating and safety of sideways facing rear seats.

I am comparing my pros and cons between these two vehicles and was hoping that you all could give me a little more insight on the RRC 1973-1981ish vs Series iii 72ish- 81ish ( those are the years I have been finding and considering).

This is what I need from a car in CR:

- I need to be able to do most of my own mechanical work on the car without specialty LR tools.

- Parts need to be some what available.

- On occasion I need to be able to go long distances poss. up to 7-10 hr trips.

- Great on bumpy muddy local roads.

- Should be able to go through a 3 ft high river in rare occasions.

- Needs to be comfortable enough and safe for young kids to get in the back seats and buckle up.

- I will be using it for about 3 months out of the year, so the car will sit for 4-5 months sometimes.

-------------------------

So thats what Im looking for, I know the old LR's are not modern cars, I know they will have issues. But I love mechanics and really enjoy the styling, so I am going with a LR. Its just a matter of which one at this point.

Now keep in mind if I had the money I would import a Disco from the states, but I am on a tight budget. SO, Series iii or old RR are my options. Please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks !