PDA

View Full Version : What type of valve spring compressor do I need?

Cevan
09-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I drove my truck longer than a 1/4 mile for the first time yesterday. After about 5 miles I noticed #4 wasn't firing. Pulled the valve cover and the #4 exhaust pushrodhad popped off the rocker. Inspected it and it looked fine. Put everything back together and no go on #4. The compression tester and leakdown confirmed an issue with the exhaust valve. Springs looked fine so I pulled the head. The exhaust valve appears to not be seating all the way. It's raised up about 2mm. The PO said he had the head rebuilt and hardened valve seats which it does have. All the valve seats appear normal.

I want to remove the exhaust valve and need a spring compressor. The head has double valve springs. Would I use a C clamp type tool? Do they come in different sizes? I'm hoping I can rent one from my FLAPS.

Donnie
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
There are a couple of different size C clamps.......just ask for the standard size that everyone uses.. They are adjustable to fit most application's...Donnie

Cevan
09-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Advance Auto had the C type spring compressor for rental. Actually it was free. Worked perfectly.