PDA

View Full Version : starting dog on ex-mod's?

ghettoct
09-11-2013, 01:43 PM
trying to find out if 1980 SIII 109 FFR's (2.25 petrol ex-mod) came with starting dogs on the crank pulleys? mine has the 3 groove crank shaft pulley and I do not need it since I converted it to 12V. mine does not have any starting dog attached but has a plain bolt that holds pulley on. there are 4 other smaller holes on the pulley that are threaded and was wondering if that was used to hold a plate/bracket that held a welded on dog?

I have bought a single pulley and starting dog to put on but cant get the flipping bolt free, tried cheater bar, heat and last resort used starter and cheater bar but still a no go. awaiting the arrival of some C4 to try that out. lol. wanted to have the feature of hand crank starting on the landy. thanks in advance. james8690

SafeAirOne
09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't have a starting dog-type engine, but weren't they an integral part of the bolt that holds on the crank pulley (tough probably not a 3-groove pulley)?:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr7xxZ9eMy5ePzs-jt0dzQZv3CzeU72RO-Sf3t4zRZJucBxA-ixQ

SafeAirOne
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Hmm... The only FFR Parts book I have is for a SIII air-portable, but this is the page for the crank pulley:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/9727761830_59d1eff12a_z.jpg

ghettoct
09-11-2013, 04:09 PM
8691thanks bro for the info, iam still stumped. I was over at ex mil land rovers forum and someone said it may be a 3 pulley NA diesel pulley? I still cant get the bolt out lol. rigged a bar with bolts into the holes of the 3 pulley and still couldn't get it to budge.

SafeAirOne
09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Those bolts can be on there pretty tight. If an air impact driver doesn't do the job, often the (unapproved) way to remove them is to stick an impact socket on the end of an 18" breaker bar, brace the breaker bar handle against the left hand (as you sit in the driver's seat) chassis rail then bump the starter to break the bolt free.