PDA

View Full Version : Landy novice in need of help!

triumphtr7guy
09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Greetings, new to Landy's but no stranger to British cars, have had TR7's since 1986 and can go thru them inside and out. Landy's are a new game. I have a 73 series iii, 88, runs great, has overdrive, locking hubs, all the good points, sadly has some of the bad points, most specificaly, frame rot. I want to pull the body and begin welding up the frame. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start and what order of dis-assembly works? any tips and hints would be appreciated. Many thanks, Bruce

disco2hse
09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
There are a couple of good books on the market about restoring series Landies. Also, aside from its cute value, this video does illustrate quite well the order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTKTwEQksE

I do quite like how random people show up to offer their sagely advice, then disappear. Music is pretty good too.

o2batsea
09-16-2013, 06:46 AM
If the frame is no good, then your best bet is to simply buy a galvanized chassis and swap your components over. Repairing a chassis that has rust "issues" is not worth fooling with if you plan on keeping the truck. They tend to rust from the inside out, so surface rust usually telltales inner problems that are far worse. Even if you do the repairs, you'll want to have the chassis galvanized to ward off future problems. All that takes time effort and money. Not saying that you can't or shouldn't, but this is one area of restoration where buying new makes more sense.
Our hosts sell a good quality chassis at a fair price. Sometimes they go on sale, so it pays to be patient.

There are a lot of ways to go about a frame-over. I've done a couple and it always looks like a Rover blew itself up in the barn. Parts everywhere. They come apart easy but putting them back together is a whole 'nuther level of hell.

triumphtr7guy
09-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks Alan, I had seen this video a couple of weeks ago, and it gave me hope, If 2 guys can do it it 16 hours, I can do it too!!!
I have several books that I bought some years ago when thinking about a Landy, was doing my home work, now I have to get them back from a friend of mine who bought one before I did!!

Bruce

triumphtr7guy
09-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Parts explosion? yup, seen plenty of them with the TR7's and just finished cleaning up the back of the Landy to do the work, it had become a mobile Tr7 parts bin,
Giving more thought to the frame bit, may bite the bullet, but hoping for now to do enought to get it on the road and start funding the new frame fund this winter and do the swap over next year. Will see what it looks like when I get in there. Right now it looks repairable with the body on, just not accessable, so Pandora's box will be opened and come what may!! thanks for the advice and the words of truth, but have faced the "level of hell" multiple times with the 7's so I have been steeled for what is ahead.
Thanks again, Bruce

S11A
09-16-2013, 07:22 AM
THis is also a good read:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Roverhaulin.html

o2batsea
09-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Which part(s) of the chassis are bad? Some can be repaired without removing the entire body. The rear crossmember, for instance, can be replaced with the tub in place or with just the tub removed. Ditto the rear spring hangers. The front frame horns can be done if you remove the wings and radiator support. So in many cases you don't have to go "all the way"

triumphtr7guy
09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Mostly from behind the tranny to rear bumper, has had new front and rear bumpers installed, but rust spots from about amidships to the stern, just tough getting in at them with the welder. Figured could do a better job with the ease of access rather that trying to work in tiny cramped spots, and the front outrigger left side needs replacement. Taking off the rear tub and the seat boxes and floor should give me the access to the problem areas. Bruce

triumphtr7guy
09-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Figured do the back half, leave the front together, less chance of bending things, get the back done, reassemble, then move on to the front sections, the tranny crossmember needs replacing, surprinsing withall the oil on it, but looks like swiss cheese, so flunked inspection, have a new one waiting in the wings

LaneRover
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Whether or not you need to remove the bulkhead USED TO be the measure of whether a Rover was worth saving.

If you can do the work and do it in sections then what you are thinking about seems to make sense to me. This way you can do the fix, drive it for a year or two while you save up for the new chassis.

If you need to pay someone else to do the welding but you are a fair mechanic then I would just save up for the galvanized chassis. Because at some point you'll think, why didn't I just get the new chassis?

triumphtr7guy
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
If you can do the work and do it in sections then what you are thinking about seems to make sense to me. This way you can do the fix, drive it for a year or two while you save up for the new chassis.

If you need to pay someone else to do the welding but you are a fair mechanic then I would just save up for the galvanized chassis. Because at some point you'll think, why didn't I just get the new chassis?[/QUOTE]

Well would love to have the funds for that, but, reality strikes!!

Made it to" Metal Dash Weekend" at Don Flye's place, great time!!! even though I was only there for a couple of hours looking at parts and gleening info. Managed to find a used blower motor resistor, mine is shot, so 2 speeds here we come! Got a lot of good info and ideas from talking to the good folks there.
The idea of welding the frame in 2 half projects was approved of and some of the best advice, and also to pass it on to others, "Dont dig in too far, that is when you get overwhelmed and then become on of the ads that say, "disassembled project, lost intrest and time, make offer, get it out of here"you end up selling everything for a bargain basement price and are soured on the vehicle" . Lets hope the weather for the rest of this week holds up for the begin on the disassembly, and then after climbing Mt Monadnock this coming weekend, hit things big time, on vacation , so weld, weld, weld!!!! Will stock up on some Bass and Longtrails!!

triumphtr7guy
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Still more progress , the Landy went topless today!!! Huzzah, quite a feat for a one man operation. Fortunately have supply of nylon rope, trussed up the hard top, parked under a good limb, and used the comealong and the top is off. Now to move on to the rear tub.
As said on Monty Python "and there was much rejoicing"

disco2hse
10-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Of course, without piccies it never happened. ;)

triumphtr7guy
12-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Okay, latest update, acquired new used seatbox, scored some great strip steel, perfect width for frame top and bottom, and 6 feet or more, so can do patch in one piece instead of cobbling several pieces together , last night worked on floor pans with angle grinder, got the drivers side off, and 3/4 of the bolts on the passenger side, and thats when my back said enough! finish the passenger side today, then the seat box off, bring that into the cellar and work in relative comfort and warmth to move the seat hardware to the new box, paint the new box, and then take stock of what else I need for parts for reassembly. The frame will be well exposed and time to work on welding up, front outrigger on drivers side in tough shape, and superb access to frame , enough of laying on my back trying to see where to weld. Will keep the updates flowing!!! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!! take care all