PDA

View Full Version : replace waterpump

shireyd
06-09-2007, 07:57 PM
well my 17 yr olds disco 1 seems to be begining a waterpump leak . i'm not taking any chances time to change it out . so any advice any one before my trek? i noticed it while under it trying to figure out my diff lock problem

landrover77
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Its common practice to replace the fan clutch while its off,
during the waterpump change out.
Check fan blades as well.
If your Rover has any oil (leaks) on the front cover of engine
and adjacent areas, clean well.

Stephen99D1
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Waterpump replacement is really easy - just get the right size wrench (can't remember the size off the top of my head, but I bought it from RN). Be sure to scrape off all the old gasket to get a good seal with the new one. Some bolts are longer than others, so note which bolts come out of which holes.

SGFMORover
06-19-2007, 05:38 PM
when I did mine a couple years back i was able to borrow fan clutch removal tools from a local parts store to keep from buying them, it helps to lay the bolts out with your new pump as you pull them out, keeps ya from forgeting. my only other advice; the gaskets that come with are ok; but rather than risk it I always prefer to use blue gasket maker to secure everything together, a couple of dollars well spent to prevent having to go back in because of gasket failure and it doesn't ad any effort if you have to remove it.