PDA

View Full Version : Check Straps ?

Ray
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Guys, A rookie question: I'm hanging a new set of parabolics w/OME's under a new galvy chassis; all Provided by our hosts. This truck ('74 SIII 88) is a driver, no heavy off road. Are axle check straps necessary/prudent? I know I'll have an inch or so lift over conventional road springs.

.... predict this won't be last (dumb!) question in this frame over project!

Thanks!
Ray

I Leak Oil
09-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I've never really needed them. Original springs or parabolics.

Your results may vary, yada, yada, yada.....

cedryck
09-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I have noticed that the parabolics I placed on my 2a have the truck sit a little higher, and therefore need a longer strap distance to make it around the axle.

o2batsea
09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
The OE ones won't fit anymore. You'll have to make new ones from nylon webbing if you want that look. They protect the shock from bottoming out hard. With OMEs that's probably not that much of a concern.
Mine used to bottom out pretty harsh when I went over speed humps. I had 4 leaf TiConsole parabolics on the rear of the 109 and it rode like a brick.

Andrew IIA
09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
I have longer check straps on my SIIA with parabolics and (I think) it does help keep the axles from travelling so far as to bottom out the shocks. So I'm pro check strap :thumb-up:

TedW
09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I use the 109 check straps on my 88. Seems to do the trick, per Andrew's comments above.

Ted

Cutter
09-17-2013, 11:36 AM
None on mine with the same setup. I bought some from our hosts after mentioning my setup and asking if they sold a longer size. didn't fit but it was a year or so later and didn't bother to return. Make your own if you feel you need them, I never have

Ray
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys...pretty much what I figured (and a tip from Trevor too...). Can add if the OME's ever pound down hard.