PDA

View Full Version : Swap III and IIA transmission

Lowlandbear
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi all,

I have a Series III transmission I took out of my lightweight and I was hoping to replace it with a IIA transmission I have on hand. When I looked at how the clutch mechanism on the Series III operated, I wanted to change over th bell housing from the III onto the IIA, but the Main shaft is larger diameter than the IIA where is passes through the shaft cover on the clutch release mechanism.

I'm wondering if I can swap the main shaft from the IIA. Or is everything so different, it couldn't work and I should just put the bell housing back on and use the IIA transmission with the original clutch release mechanism? I have a Rover drive Im hoping to put on whatever I install.

I don't have enough information or experience to know if this is possible.

Also, if I do use the IIA, there was a cloth or leather cover the cross-shaft connecting tube passes through the bell housing and its gone, any recommendations on where to get a replacement?

Many thanks!
James

emmotto
09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi all,

Also, if I do use the IIA, there was a cloth or leather cover the cross-shaft connecting tube passes through the bell housing and its gone, any recommendations on where to get a replacement?

Many thanks!
James

There's a big kinda cone shaped rubber grommet that our hosts sell for this - it goes in with the cone INSIDE the bell housing.

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=553262&type=0&eq=&desc=BOOT-THROW-OUT-CROSS-SHAFT-SERIES-IIA&key=it